HELP! Halter breaking stubborn calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

tucker.roberts

This summer I got a real nice Gert calf. He was all kinds of crazy but by the end of the summer, I had him walking decently. I then, however, hit the school year. I am relatively on my own on my show projects my parents work and when they get home they don't care to mess with a calf. I am also a football player and between school and practice, I get home around dark. The point is this steer has not been worked with near enough. My season ended only a week ago and now this steer refuses to lead. The first day back I tried to lead him in the big pen and he bolted. I have since moved him to a smaller pen, but now he refuses to walk. I'm trying not to just get in a pulling match with him, but I don't know what else to do. He's near 1100 pounds now and the county show is getting way close. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it too late to try a donkey as a last resort?

knabe

there are hundreds of posts on here for calf breaking

try a search first.

in the hall of fame section is "the red method"

personally, i would just get him in the small pen with halter on, leave it slack and just move him with your position.  forget trying to tie him.  you will make his head raw and he will associate pain with a halter.

feed him  scratch him, get little moves from him and build on it.

get his trust, not his fear.

tucker.roberts

Thank y'all. He doesn't fight the halter but he also just refuses to take a step forward. I've been reading up on the red method I'll start trying it tomorrow morning.

knabe

tucker.roberts said:
Thank y'all. He doesn't fight the halter but he also just refuses to take a step forward. I've been reading up on the red method I'll start trying it tomorrow morning.

just sit there and wait for him to move a foot, or take any tension out of lead rope.

release immediately.

repeat over and over.

Auburnviewfarms

We use the walk to water method. Tie them up leave them tied then try walking to water twice a day it works well for us. Start with a short walk then move it further away. We typically break calves in a week or so with this method. We have free choice hay and feed them tied during this time. We do it in a small pen so if they do get willy they can't bolt and get away.

CAB

Tucker do you have a "slip ring" that your lead rope runs through making it easy to release the pressure once the calf does take a step? If not try to get one either bought that does or make yours so that it is. The calf will learn much, much quicker what you are trying to teach him/her.

SlickTxMaine

Not much help for this year, but for the future.  My son was in the same boat as you - he played football, dad's job involves a lot of travel, and as the mom, I helped out as much as I could.  The rule was that he had to have his calf really broke before he started two a days.  Then once football started he would tie him and work with him on weekends and holidays.  Once football was over he had to get the calf back on track.  It seemed to work for us.  He won showmanship one year, but was in the running every year.  I can tell you when we had validation in August, his was one of the only calves that could be led into the barn. 

You can still spend time with your calf after dark - brush him while he is eating.  Spend whatever few minutes you have.  Once broke even getting out there 10 mins a day is better than nothing.  Good luck, stay patient and be safe!