Help with Simmy semen codes?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Purchased a used tank from a family friend along with the semen inside of it.  All Simmy and needed some help with one of the bulls. When I look under ASA it will pull up 75 different Magicians??
The straw says:
Magician 14SM342

P.S.
Other bulls in the tank were:
Dream on
PVF Preferred Edge 717G (ASA# 1934335)
SRS Joshua J942 (ASA# 2021060)

Besides Dream On, can anyone tell me about these other bulls?  Looks like Preferred Edge and Joshua are both very terminal type bulls with horrible milk EPD's but lots of growth?

firesweepranch

the 14 means accelerated genetics collected him, you could call them and ask if no one here comes up with it  (thumbsup)

kfacres

naab search database great place to go.

Breed Country Registration Number Short Name Registration Name Date of Birth NAAB Code
SM USA 000000441569 MAGICIAN R&R MAGICIAN 3/23/1990 14SM342

ps.. on the old bulls, I typically drop the zeros-- and type in a google search of their NAAB code

Davidsonranch

So what would his ASA # be then? 04415969?
I must be doing something wrong as I've tried typing in all different forms of that number and get nothing at ASA?

leanbeef

Yeah, that registration number is missing something... If it is the R&R Magician bull I mentioned in my pm, you can search for him by name. The list of 75 when you just type in Magician should be at least sorta by birth date, oldest to youngest. You can find him pretty easily there. Or type in R&R Magician & he should pop right up. If I remember, I think he's a dark red, goggle-eyed bull that was a full brother to The Wizard...sired by Highwayman out of a Pineview Jazz daughter maybe?...

nmcattle

Joshua is a fairly modern terminal type bull. If I remember right he is one of few bulls that is homozygous for the marbling gene.

husker1

I think leanbeef's memory is pretty good...all that pedigree info seems correct.  Magician was a good bull in his day...

Davidsonranch

Thanks everyone for the info.  It has been kinda fun looking into some of these bulls as some are over 20 years old and if they will work or not. So none of them really appear to have very good maternal traits, but might be some good steer / growth makers for some steers for the sale?  I think there is a bunch of the Joshua (like 20 straws).  I'm really trying to do my research and use my 4 straws of Dream On right.  Again, thanks for the info.  I've found pics of most of the bulls.  Magician was the one giving me some problems. 

leanbeef

Magician was out before the Internet came along, and he was peobably never popular enough that he made the list of old bulls to get listed somewhere.

As far as my memory...I try! Lol

Davidsonranch

Hey I'll tell you what.  I think your memory is pretty awesome.  I still can't even remember my anniversary date year to year. So to remember bulls and cattle from 10+ years ago, I commend you.  Thanks for all your help. 

leanbeef

I'm glad that kind of stuff actually comes in handy from time to time. It's one of the few things I'm really good at! The sad part is there's no real need for it in most cases...it's just handy. For some reason, as a little kid around 6 or 7, I became really interested in our cow herd at home. I used to make lists of the cows & their calves, draw pictures of each cow, and write down as much as I knew about each one. I still remember some of those cows 35 years later! It does help with our herd management to remember a certain cow's calves over the years...and I don't remember them ALL but probably more than a lot of people might. For some reason, it's just information that connects with me, like some people with cars. I don't really understand motors because I don't really care to. But I like knowing pedigrees.

redsimmsnangus

Amazing that Magician and The Wizard were full brothers and had such vastly different phenotypes and epds.  Just goes to show that even with well proven sires in the bloodline genes will mix differently.  Reminds me of Winchester and Red Label.  Does anyone else get bothered when such inconsistency shows up in full sibs? 

leanbeef

It's not really that surprising if you think about how much diversity there is in some of the backgrounds of some cattle. For example, if you take a frame 5 cow and breed her to a frame 7 bull, you might get a frame 6 offspring, but genetically, that calf is frame 5 and frame 7. So when she starts dividing up her own genetic make up and dishing out 1/2 of her genes to HER offspring, will she give a gene for frame 5, or will she give a gene for frame 7? You might flush her to a frame 6 bull with the same genetic diversity, and those calves could look like they were out of different sires and dams altogether!

There's as much diversity within any breed as there is between different breeds of cattle. Some breeders do a very good job of making cattle that will breed true, meaning they minimize the genetic diversity within their own herd, and some breeders use a lot of different kinds of cattle with no real focus on exactly what they're doing. I think it can be interesting to have a bull or a female that's an outlier in the population--those are the individuals that can CHANGE a population--but if they don't breed true to their phenotype, they're hard to use in a breeding program with any predictability. The longer I'm in this business, the more I don't like surprises! And I don't think my bull customers come to us looking for a box of surprises, either!