Opinions on these Angus bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bone2011

In focus calves really easy and has sired many high selling bulls here in south dakota, i really like the cattle from a profile standpoint but when you get behind them there is not nearly enough there. Final answer is a truley great bull, the calves come very easy and grow really fast. They are extremely stout from a angus stand point and are very attractive. He has sired our top selling bulls in our sale the past 3 years for a average of 6500 on the three. They also make very good mothers. I could go on and on about them.

Chap

Jamie,
Interesting comment about the angus cows.  by rule all straight bred angus are homozygous polled.  I could sure see some scures in that meyer mating as he is a horned bull, but no way you should be able to get horns on that cross.  are you talking about registered angus cattle or simply angus type?

LN

We've bred SimAngus for over 20 years and yes, scurs are very common, but never had problems with horns. The Angus cow must've been heterozygous, which is a whole other issue.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
First comment is that Angus cow that is heterozygous , the first conclusion if that is so is that she is not what I would call Angus, one of the first requirements of being Angus is that they are Homozygous , if  not this, there not ANGUS ............. The cow I was talking about Chambero are owned by very reputable people who bought her an used her a lot for selling high priced reg, Angus , didn't know the difference until they flushed her to Meyer , to late then, just another great Angus donor ....That's why I had been so interested in Angus bulls that have had horns or scurs, an don;t tell me that scurs are different than horns , scurs are just  the  phase before horns .  We had horned Charolais an have first hand experience with horns ,scurs an polled cattle ....

GoWyo

Freddy said:
pLEASE ANSWER ONE QUESTION for me then, Can a homozygous critter with these theories then have horns or scurs .................

Only heterozygous polled cattle ever grow scurs (see red section in Table below), which is the epistatic interaction.  Two scurred alleles are required in females and only one in males, which is typical of a sex-influenced trait.  http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/ScurredTable.html

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
You are saying then that homozygous cattle won't have horns or scurs then .  True Angus then should not have scurs or horns then because they are Homozygous polled ..............I guess what I'm trying to clarify is that some people are saying purebred Angus can have scurs an I don't agree with this ....

GoWyo

My guess is that they are not purebred Angus -- there is a scur gene in the woodpile.

Bulldaddy

Back the halfbloods out of Meyers 734 and Angus cows.  The scurs can happen since 734 is not homozygous polled.  Anytime you use cross a homozygous polled animal with a hetrozygous polled animal some of the bull calves will have scurs.  None of the females will be scurred.  At least that has been my experience breeding simmental and simangus.  Also, one poster mentioned that the cows may not be purebred angus and that sure could end up causiing scurs if the animal is hetrozygous polled.

Davis Shorthorns

We used Final Answer on all of our shortie heifers this year.  They are due in March so I will let you know what I think then.