Shorthorn bull Kool

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

AR SU LU KOOL. This bull was used somewhat for lower birthweights in the Purebred Shorthorn show arena. He is TH and PHA positive. I still have one cow sired by him and she is really nice and has good calves. Good uddered. Calves should be clubby, fancy, and decent birthweights but I don't use him because of the genetic defects.

sue

JTM said:
AR SU LU KOOL. This bull was used somewhat for lower birthweights in the Purebred Shorthorn show arena. He is TH and PHA positive. I still have one cow sired by him and she is really nice and has good calves. Good uddered. Calves should be clubby, fancy, and decent birthweights but I don't use him because of the genetic defects.
It's too bad he was double dirty. I love his females too, very moderate and awesome udders- always thought a nice double clean son would come out to replace him.

kfacres

we used him with quite similar results.. good part is that the only heifer we retained, turned out to be double clean..  We used him before the carrier stuff was known..  Used him safely on heifers too. 

Doc

I really liked Kool. Never any problems on heifers & like JTM, really liked his dtrs. Every calf I had by him tested THF, but PHAC. Some of the best calves I had by him were out of CF Ellie Mae. I still say if I had a bunch of black clubby cows & didn't care about being dirty , I would use Kool & Milestone Sabre.

justintime

I used Kool before we knew anything about TH and PHA. He was super easy calving and he moderated frame and made his calves super thick. I kept three daughters and all three were TH and PHA clean. I sold another to Ontario and she also turned out to be clean for both. I also had some very good steers and maybe they were the carriers I don't know. The heifer that I sold to Ontario, was from a recip that did not hold the embryo pregnancy. She had had 4 ET calves in a row but got bred to Kool this time around. The resulting Kool heifer won two aluminum trailers for the girl in Ontario that bought her. I would use Kool again, if he wasn't a double carrier. His calves were very uniform and good. Here is a picture of her :

Attachments

• HC Kool Princess 71P - London showsm.jpg
    HC Kool Princess 71P - London showsm.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 321

justintime

Here are a couple more Kool calves.. both were out of heifers

Attachments

• Prospect steers and heifers 006.jpg
    Prospect steers and heifers 006.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 293
  • Prospect steers and heifers 023.jpg
    Prospect steers and heifers 023.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 277

shortyjock89

We used the crap outta Kool when he came out and for the next couple years. I don't think we ever had a bad one out of him.  We just bought some Kool embryos, and are really excited about them. I may breed my SULL Jane Mary to him.

shortdawg

Tough to use a double dirty bull but if I was going to use one it would be him. I remember going to Cates when they had several out of him and they were really good I thought.  I remember his calves being really thick and good quartered.

kfacres

I have to modify my post from above...  I don't know that Kool is as good as he is beiing talked up to be...

I think we have a set of twins sired by him born last Oct..  Well maybe.. We're not sure.  Had a hard breeder Lutton daughter come in heat, I thought put some of that double dirty, 15$ semen in her.. so what sticks, she sticks...  She stuck, but calved at the half way point of her cycling.  I'm guessing she was early instead of late, since these were like upper 50, lower 60 lb calves.. *without looking it up*. 

Anyways, these two calves are made nothing like the rest of our shorthorn calves this year, which backs up my thoughts that they are Kools.  They are super big bodied, not enough boned, and very very moderate... Which is about 100% opposite of our Dr. Feelgood calves at this stage of the game..  They are huge boned, not deep enough, way long bodied, and maybe just a tad bigger framed than I would like right now...  A simple blood test would determine who is their sire.. but with one being each sex.. I don't really care... At the most the steer will go in my freezer, and we'll keep the heifer... That is if she breeds.. Another couple of months will determine if she's a freemartin or not...  I hope she's a breeder, but I think I read somewhere that 92% highly she's not going to be. 

Anyways, I guess my point is, that during the rest of my time using Kool---  he worked out of..  We had good conception rates, and got several calves sired by him, and have only retaiined one for a cow.  I can say that Kool has made a nice cheap, alternative for hard breeding black cows in recent years to use up the rest of his semen around here... 

mark tenenbaum

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
We used the crap outta Kool when he came out and for the next couple years. I don't think we ever had a bad one out of him.  We just bought some Kool embryos, and are really excited about them. I may breed my SULL Jane Mary to him.///YOU MEAN YOU STOLE SOME COOL EMBRYOS (lol) (lol) (lol) O0

CPL

the truth said:
I have to modify my post from above...  I don't know that Kool is as good as he is beiing talked up to be...

I think we have a set of twins sired by him born last Oct..  Well maybe.. We're not sure.  Had a hard breeder Lutton daughter come in heat, I thought put some of that double dirty, 15$ semen in her.. so what sticks, she sticks...  She stuck, but calved at the half way point of her cycling.  I'm guessing she was early instead of late, since these were like upper 50, lower 60 lb calves.. *without looking it up*. 

Anyways, these two calves are made nothing like the rest of our shorthorn calves this year, which backs up my thoughts that they are Kools.  They are super big bodied, not enough boned, and very very moderate... Which is about 100% opposite of our Dr. Feelgood calves at this stage of the game..  They are huge boned, not deep enough, way long bodied, and maybe just a tad bigger framed than I would like right now...  A simple blood test would determine who is their sire.. but with one being each sex.. I don't really care... At the most the steer will go in my freezer, and we'll keep the heifer... That is if she breeds.. Another couple of months will determine if she's a freemartin or not...  I hope she's a breeder, but I think I read somewhere that 92% highly she's not going to be. 

Anyways, I guess my point is, that during the rest of my time using Kool---  he worked out of..  We had good conception rates, and got several calves sired by him, and have only retaiined one for a cow.  I can say that Kool has made a nice cheap, alternative for hard breeding black cows in recent years to use up the rest of his semen around here... 

I don't think its fair to judge a bull based on just two calves.... even more so them being twins and only wieghing 50 lbs at birth.

Also do you care to explain what you mean by them being "very very moderate" but also being "just a tad bigger framed than [you] would like right now" ?

kfacres

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
He means his Dr. Feelgoods are bigger framed than he wanted.

Yup that is correct...  Our Dr. Feelgood's are a tad larger framed, but I think that with time- they will grow into that extra bone-- atleast I hope.. But boy do I sure like quite a few things about that set of calves...

CPL said:
the truth said:

I don't think its fair to judge a bull based on just two calves.... even more so them being twins and only wieghing 50 lbs at birth.

Also do you care to explain what you mean by them being "very very moderate" but also being "just a tad bigger framed than [you] would like right now" ?

We've had more than 2 Kool calves- if you would have ACTUALLY READ my posts.. you would have CLEARLY noticed that.  First off, I began by saying that we retained one heifer back for a cow, that that she tested double clean.  Then I said that we had a pair of twin Oct calves by him... I doubt the October heifer calf, who's got a twin bull will ever be a cow, letalone a cow right now...  I also said that we didn't test her, as she's twin to a bull, and likely will be freezer beef...

We purchased 15 or 20 Kool straws, and have had good success with conception rates, also as I have already stated.  With that said, I'd say it's a good likelyhood that we had several calves by him. 

I guess what really just sums up my rebuttle towards you not reading my post.. IS COPIED DIRECTLY FROM ABOVE.
"Anyways, I guess my point is, that during the rest of my time using Kool--- he worked out of..  We had good conception rates, and got several calves sired by him, and have only retaiined one for a cow.  I can say that Kool has made a nice cheap, alternative for hard breeding black cows in recent years to use up the rest of his semen around here...  "