Shorthorn X angus color ????

Help Support Steer Planet:

clubcalve

I am going to breed some angus cows to brother Joe and Storm chaser and was wondering what colors I might get.i am thinking that all I will get is black but thats is all right (lol) This is my first experence with shorthorns so I hope it turns out good

showman ne

Brother Joe will probably roan up some, storm chaser will probably just keep the black.

JSchroeder

If the Angus is a homozygous black and the Shorthorn is...

White - 100% blue roan
Roan - 50/50 blue roan/50 black
Red - 100% black

If the Angus is a heterozygous black and the Shorthorn is...

White - 50% roan, 50% blue roan
Roan - 25% blue roan, 25% roan, 25% black, 25% red
Red - 50% red, 50% black

shortdawg

What about Hannibal on a Blue Roan cow ? What are the color percentages ? And Vortec on the same Blue Roan cow ?

SSIMMENTALS

So with a roan shorthorn cow (most everything Ive seen in her family has been roan as well) and a Homo black simmental bull I would also get       50% B Roan and 50% Black.??

randiliana

SSIMMENTALS said:
So with a roan shorthorn cow (most everything Ive seen in her family has been roan as well) and a Homo black simmental bull I would also get       50% B Roan and 50% Black.??

yes

Endless Meadows

Depending on the markings of the bull used, you could get some scattered white makrs as well.  Typically on the legs, flank, starheads.....  I wouldn't be too surprised if the vortec calve will get a few marks

DLD

We had one yesterday that blew one of my color theories all to pieces.  My daughter has a Paleface out of our "Old Blue" cow (Book Em' Dan'O x Lim x SH), she's a black baldie with just a little roan on and under her tail (her mother was a nice, even, frosty blue roan).  Last year (first calf) she had a blue roan out of an Angus bull, so I bred her back to Jakes Proud Jazz and assured my daughter for the last 9 months that she was going to have a blue roan (yeah, I know it wasn't a sure thing, but it seemed like a safe bet) or maybe accidentally a black and white paint.  The cows mother and sisters have been bred Shorthorn several times and never could turn any of them back red.  But this one manages to have a red and white painted up baldie... Actually looks pretty cool, and he's a nice one, too, so it's all good, just not quite what we expected.

Like the others said, you could get anything from solid blacks to roans, paints, whatever.  Every calf will be kinda like unwrapping a Christmas present, you might think you know what's in there, but 'til you get it out, you'll never know for sure.

frostback

DLD said:
We had one yesterday that blew one of my color theories all to pieces.  My daughter has a Paleface out of our "Old Blue" cow (Book Em' Dan'O x Lim x SH), she's a black baldie with just a little roan on and under her tail (her mother was a nice, even, frosty blue roan).  Last year (first calf) she had a blue roan out of an Angus bull, so I bred her back to Jakes Proud Jazz and assured my daughter for the last 9 months that she was going to have a blue roan (yeah, I know it wasn't a sure thing, but it seemed like a safe bet) or maybe accidentally a black and white paint.  The cows mother and sisters have been bred Shorthorn several times and never could turn any of them back red.  But this one manages to have a red and white painted up baldie... Actually looks pretty cool, and he's a nice one, too, so it's all good, just not quite what we expected.

Like the others said, you could get anything from solid blacks to roans, paints, whatever.  Every calf will be kinda like unwrapping a Christmas present, you might think you know what's in there, but 'til you get it out, you'll never know for sure.
DLD. The punnet square does work when figuring out colour but you have to know what you are working with. Your Black Baldie cow is really a Blue Roan herself. There does not have to be a even number of white to black hairs on a cow to make her a roan. Think about all the red necked roans out there. There are more white hairs to red and they are roans. Just the few white hairs on and under her tail makes her a blue.
Breeding her to JPJ you had the chance of a Hetro Black calf, a blue roan, a red roan and a white.
The calf you are calling a red and white baldie is a red roan. Bet you will find some mixed up hairs under her tail like mom or between her front legs or her back legs. May be some on her head too.

DLD

Oh yeah, I knew what the odds were, the point I was trying to make was that when you mix up those color patterns like that you'd better not get to thinking you know just exactly what you're going to get.  I'm saying it's best just to remember that you have these possibilities, and it could end up being any of them.

In this case I fooled myself because I expected that that the cow was homozygous black - knowing that both she and JPJ were roan, the odds would've been in favor of a blue roan baby, had I been correct  about her being homozygous black.  And yes, both the cow and the calf have some roan in them, but I call them baldies because you'd notice them being baldies long before you'd notice the roan.  The calf may technically be a red roan, but he still has the white face and markings that will make him unacceptable to show as a Shorthorn, hence for the purpose of his future as a show steer, he's a red baldie.

TMJ Show Cattle

That is not necessarily true about the markings making him ineligleable to show as a shorthorn. Look at the cow and calf pair that is selling in Cates" sale. They are both registered with the momma a predominately white face. If you want to show him as a Horn,register him and have dna done and give them the paper work where you show.I think both parties will be suprised.

TMJ Show Cattle

Sorry, I meant to say reg. him as a shorthorn plus. Most places he might be a AOB but if he's real good take him to Jr. nationals in Michigan next year.

dori36

JSchroeder said:
If the Angus is a homozygous black and the Shorthorn is...

White - 100% blue roan
Roan - 50/50 blue roan/50 black
Red - 100% black

If the Angus is a heterozygous black and the Shorthorn is...

White - 50% roan, 50% blue roan
Roan - 25% blue roan, 25% roan, 25% black, 25% red
Red - 50% red, 50% black

If the Angus is "really" an Angus, it had better be homozygous black!

shortdawg

I had a calf last year that was sired by JPJ out of a Char/Angus cow and she was a beautiful red roan - not exactly what I expected.

Frostback, Dori36, etal, What do you all think my percentages will be on the Hanibal/Blue Roan mating ? That Blue Roan has Maine, Simmy, and Shorthorn in her.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
I had a calf last year that was sired by JPJ out of a Char/Angus cow and she was a beautiful red roan - not exactly what I expected.

Frostback, Dori36, etal, What do you all think my percentages will be on the Hanibal/Blue Roan mating ? That Blue Roan has Maine, Simmy, and Shorthorn in her.

Hannibal's Daddy is Who- well if you ever go to the Chi website and look at the breeding on Who, he has Maine, Angus, Chi, Hereford. This definitely would be an interest one to figure out.

I think JS post above might fit this case

25% blue roan, 25% roan, 25% black, 25% red

DLD

TMJ Show Cattle said:
That is not necessarily true about the markings making him ineligleable to show as a shorthorn. Look at the cow and calf pair that is selling in Cates" sale. They are both registered with the momma a predominately white face. If you want to show him as a Horn,register him and have dna done and give them the paper work where you show.I think both parties will be suprised.
TMJ Show Cattle said:
Sorry, I meant to say reg. him as a shorthorn plus. Most places he might be a AOB but if he's real good take him to Jr. nationals in Michigan next year.

Oh yeah, he'd go Shorthorn plus easily.  Michigan's an awfully long way from Oklahoma, though you never can tell where we might show up... lol.

Actually, the way things have been going, he might accidentally get into the Shorthorn steer show at OYE.  We'll prob'ly keep him and feed him ourselves, and we've got 2 more shots at having a Shorthorn steer this fall , so we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

frostback

shortdawg said:

The thing about colour is it is only 2 genes. It does not matter how many breeds are in there. The only times the breeds may play a part is with the markings. For example the Simmi may have giving you the spotting gene but that is different then the colour, you may also get a marking gene from the Maine and Short too. The face marking of Herefords are another gene too. Same with white socks. A Red with White Marking shorthorn has two RED genes for colour but also has the marking gene. Heatwave even though is solid black carriers the marking gene thus getting some black and white calves.
As for a Blue and Hannibal ,
If Han. in Homo Black and I cant remember if he is you have a 50/50 chance of Black and Blue.
If he is Hetro the 25 Homo blk, 25 Hetro Blk, 25 Blue, 25 Red roan.