Simmental junior rules. Simmy x Maine crossings

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mainevent

So first question is what are the rules on percentages to show in junior show in Texas Simmental. Are there any good soggy middled deep foreribbed simmy bull? Any luck using simmy on strictly business cows?

WJ Farms

Simmental percentage has to be at least 50% percent simmy and yes there is Flying B Cut Above or Fat Butt same bull

firesweepranch

Mainevent said:
If I bred a Maine cow to fatt butt would that calf be able to show

If you papered it, yes. 50%, so it would show in the percentage division. The cow in my avatar is a Maine x Macho, and she went on to win 2009 South Central Regional Champion heifer.  

Bulldaddy

Mainevent said:
So first question is what are the rules on percentages to show in junior show in Texas Simmental. Are there any good soggy middled deep foreribbed simmy bull? Any luck using simmy on strictly business cows?

Unless the rules have changed, I don't beleive that kids can show percentage Simmental cattle in Texas shows like they do up north.  They have to be purebred to show.  One of the soggiest Simmental bulls I know of is 3C Full Figures.  He has made some great females.

Simmgal

Possum Trot Ranch said:
Mainevent said:

Unless the rules have changed, I don't beleive that kids can show percentage Simmental cattle in Texas shows like they do up north.  They have to be purebred to show.  One of the soggiest Simmental bulls I know of is 3C Full Figures.  He has made some great females.
Not trying to change the subject, but where can I find a picture and some info on Full Figures?

The Show

Possum Trot Ranch said:
Mainevent said:

Your correct. They have to be 15/16 to show at the jr shows and state show. Regionals, nationals, and most open shows do have a percentage show though. You could jackpot a percentage, but you would always show as an AOB or ORB.

vcsf

Simmgal said:
Possum Trot Ranch said:
Mainevent said:

Not trying to change the subject, but where can I find a picture and some info on Full Figures?

Here are a couple of pictures of Full Figures for you at different ages.  I agree that he could make some very good females that were generally the easy fleshing soggy type and had enough muscling.  He was also easy calving and had fairly good carcass potential.  However, he will not give you much growth and if you are looking for show calves I believe that in most cases you would be disappointed.

Attachments

• Full Figures 1.jpg
    Full Figures 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Full Figures 2.jpg
    Full Figures 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 131

LN

The Show said:
Possum Trot Ranch said:
Mainevent said:

Your correct. They have to be 15/16 to show at the jr shows and state show. Regionals, nationals, and most open shows do have a percentage show though. You could jackpot a percentage, but you would always show as an AOB or ORB.

Umm, they have to be 7/8 to be purebred.