Steer Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

OsoGrande

Any opinions appreciated. I know he is a little leggy - we are doing everything we can to put some body in him (any ideas would be appreciated).  I think the hair will be there in the fall has some decent hair now considering we do not have a cooler and its 100 degrees in TX.  Its only our 2nd year so be honest.

Attachments

• steer 8.1 - 1.jpg
    steer 8.1 - 1.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 177
  • steer 8.1 - 2.jpg
    steer 8.1 - 2.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 171
  • steer 8.1 - 3.jpg
    steer 8.1 - 3.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 154

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

he looks good, just take a good profile picture so we can see just how deep he is.  That angle shot makes me question just how deep he is.
What show is your target?

pjkjr4

I agree with old word shortie, it's kind of tough to tell, but he looks like he's gonna be plenty thick. I assume he weighs 900-1000#, and you are going to show Ft. Worth?  If that's true, don't worry too much how he looks now, just have someone in the know come out and look, and give you some advice on feed and additives at this point. Rinse every chance you get....your temperature is like ours is now, and we have some really hairy cattle too. Cooling them off sure helps their appetite, and their overall disposition.

OsoGrande

Here is a profile pic - any more opinions

Attachments

• steer 8.20 - 2.JPG
    steer 8.20 - 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
  • steer 8.20 - 1.JPG
    steer 8.20 - 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 157

redwingfarm

It might be the pose, but it were my steer I would be much much more worried about how straight he on his rearlegs vs his depth of body, to deepen him out I would push fiber level in feed to 13-14% by adding extra cottonseed hulls, but those rear legs look like they could be trouble
good luck

vc

In the last couple of shots, his head is jacked up way to high to really evaluate his rear legs, he is not standing naturally at all.
It does look to me that he might be getting a little long on his toes, you might need to get his feet trimmed.Oops If I had blown the pictures up prior to my comments I would have see his feet are fine
He should finish out nice for you.

Silver

I would just add some depth to his flank, along with some bone and hair and you could have a real nice calf.

olsun

I like your steer, and it looks as though you are doing fine feeding him. My comment would be that if he is a little straight, don't trim much off his rear toes. Short toes and straight legs don't work well together in my opinion. Best of luck, you have done well so far.