Wanted to buy: Open Recips Or Cow-Calf Pairs

Help Support Steer Planet:

herefordfootball

I am looking for a few open recips. They need to have had embryos implanted in them before and be at least 3 years of age. Breed doesnt matter. I also need to know how they calved before with embryos: Unassisted, easy pull, hard pull, etc... Thanks!!!

vet tech

seems to me that open recips are getting harder and harder to find. we are looking for some too

CPL

I'm pretty sure there is a guy pretty close to the IN/IL border that raises recips and implants them there and then you can pick up the ones that stuck. He may sell recips too. His website is on show steers, I'll see if I can find it later.

kfacres

I'm currently growing out some heifer calves to sell as recips!  Made for that reason...  I don't really want to develop them though- not up to 2nd calving.. think that's a waste of time and $$ to get a cow to aproach the prime of her life and then sell her for recip price.. Will be looking to sell these heifer calves in a few months, or later this year for really good $$$$...  Just wanted to get the bug out in people's ears.. PM me for more info!

shortyjock89

CPL said:
I'm pretty sure there is a guy pretty close to the IN/IL border that raises recips and implants them there and then you can pick up the ones that stuck. He may sell recips too. His website is on show steers, I'll see if I can find it later.

Hook me up with that info when you find it too. We're only six miles from the border lol!

BTRancher

I have four (4) 3/4 blood angus cows that may be just what you are looking for.  I bought these cows from a clubby producer thinking I might try to raise some clubbys but we have decided to maintain a purebred operation so I used them 2 years ago to put Angus Embroyos in and then simply just turned the bull in with them last year because we ran out of embroyos.  Two of the cows have spring heifer calves by there side and the others are due late summer/early fall.  I live in Southwest Missouri.  These cows are intriguing especially for a clubby producer because these cows are plenty good enough to simply AI but cheap enough to put embroyos in.  Please give me a call if you are interested. 417-496-2673

Thanks,

herefordfootball

BTRancher said:
I have four (4) 3/4 blood angus cows that may be just what you are looking for.  I bought these cows from a clubby producer thinking I might try to raise some clubbys but we have decided to maintain a purebred operation so I used them 2 years ago to put Angus Embroyos in and then simply just turned the bull in with them last year because we ran out of embroyos.  Two of the cows have spring heifer calves by there side and the others are due late summer/early fall.  I live in Southwest Missouri.  These cows are intriguing especially for a clubby producer because these cows are plenty good enough to simply AI but cheap enough to put embroyos in.  Please give me a call if you are interested. 417-496-2673

Thanks,

I called and left a message. Thanks for the info. Give me a call back when you get a chance. :)

Chris

Ruebush Shorthorns

Just thought I would throw this out from my experiece with ET.
We have set up 4 sets of cows now.  None of them havd ever been recips before.  We have calved out about 10 ET calves and have 8 checked safe in cows now.
Of the about 10 or so that have been recips, only one has taken a second time.  Don't know if this is common or just our luck.  We set up every cow we can that is of acceptable size and has good maternal traits such as milk and wide hips and put an egg in them everytime.  Have had cows miss first year and hit second year after a herd bull calf.  If I were you I would look for some good commercial cows and give it a go.  I wouldn'y dwell on if they have been recips before, I believe their is little reason in saying a cow that has been a recip before will take again.  We are around 50% on ET percentage and I believe 80% is what the best in the business get.  It takes a couple rounds to hit it on the head.  From body condition to mineral their are many factors.

jackpotcattle

Also, one thing to keep in mind is changing the environment of these cows. We bought 60 hd one year to put eggs in and didn't get them home until like 2 weeks before we implanted the eggs. Only got 20% of those to stick. Out of 120 of our own recips we got 77% that same yr. The next year those same 60 cows went for 80% and never were below 60%. We believe that this is strictly because we did not let them acclamate to the new grass type, mineral program, and just the overall stress of being hauled and worked.

You probably already know this, but I just thought I would share our experiences.

herefordfootball

No, I didnt know all of that. I sure appreciate you sharing that info with me. :) Thank you to everyone for your pm's and replies!!! We have decided to find a herd that implants the embryos and sells you the weaned calf. Thanks again!