What bull died in Texas ----

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Call me silly, but you (generic you) will never convince me clones do not have health problems that make them die young. I now believe the guy I talked to about a year ago and his theory about clones....

TJ

Show Heifer said:
Call me silly, but you (generic you) will never convince me clones do not have health problems that make them die young. I now believe the guy I talked to about a year ago and his theory about clones....

FWIW, I've always been very skeptical about clones too. 

vet tech

heres a pic

Attachments

• SolidGold.jpg
    SolidGold.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 301

Torch

Show Heifer said:
Question is will that shorter and sicker life span be passed on to the offspring?

CM Cattle

Torch said:
Show Heifer said:
Question is will that shorter and sicker life span be passed on to the offspring?
I was wandering the same thing? ???

farmboy

I believe i read somewhere that the age of the clone is equivalent at birth as it is to when the original DNA was collected from the donor. call me stupid but I think it was in the Full Flush article.

carl s.

I know, right?  Bulls never die young unless they’re clones.  I mean especially bull studs, they’ve always lived to twenty years old and never die accidentally.

You can call me silly too but I feel the same way about Doctor Who x Strictly business offspring and lighting.  Ever since Dr of Business was struck by lightning you’ll never be able to convince me they don’t attract it.

I heard they made that movie Benjamin Button after seeing the first clone calf born and it was already eight years old.

afhm

They pulled the dna  from the donor calf when he was 3 months old.  So Solid Gold was not born an old bull.  He had a hard life.  He was on a recip that died, then on a terrible milking one that didn't really accept him (she may have died as well) and was finally weaned real young.  My opinion on this is poo happens. 

carl s.

Are you sure he wasn't a clone....because we all know that stuff only happens to clones.

SHAGGY

Actually that was one of the mysteries of cloning is the increase in aging, it has been a problem to geneticist since the cloning of Dolly, i dont know what kind of explanation they have for it or if it is being fixed but this was a real problem not just an opinion.  I did a little research on this when i was taking a genetics class in college and there are so many things we still dont know about clones it amazes me that the FDA approved clones safe for human consumption.  

Show Heifer

No where did I say only clones die young. To be honest, I am suspicious any time a young valuable animal dies. Heck, high dollar race horses has the highest "accident" rate going, so it isn't just a bovine problem!
But, it just seems that many clones have health problems and die young. Coincidence? I think not.
Zach, I heard the same thing (of which I hinted at in my first post)  from someone in the "inner circle", so might be a lot of truth to that.

SHAGGY

Dead bull = Nice insurance check and higher priced semen. Sounds like a good reason for alot of those "accidents" as well. Little off topic.

GONEWEST

Dang, race horses get hurt and die EVERY DAY. It's just the expensive ones you hear about. I know that all the crooks are in the cattle business, but not all the people in the cattle business are crooks. It must be difficult to live that cynically.

afhm

SHAGGY said:
Dead bull = Nice insurance check and higher priced semen. Sounds like a good reason for alot of those "accidents" as well. Little off topic.
With what it costs to clone one, collect him, promote him and the costs of the insurance premium payments I think I would rather have the live bull.  Sure when he is dead you can raise the semen price and collect a insurance check but as young as this bull was there most likely was not a large semen bank built up.  A live bull is more profitable than one dead at 2 yrs old that will be soon forgotten because of the limited exposure and usage he will now have.

SHAGGY

Wasnt talking about this particular bull, or cloned bulls, just suspicious bull deaths in general, and the cost to clone one isnt as ridiculous as you would think now.

aj

I've been told time and again that all display bulls are nutritionally burn't out,fluffed and puffed to death. I am surprised any of them make it to the age of two anyway.jmo

Show Heifer

gonewest, have you heard of the "Sandman"?  He made is LIVING by "creating accidents" on race horses of all caliburs. Did it for years, and collect either a flat fee or a percentage of the insurance.  If you read my posts, I never said every race horse that died, or that every bull that died was due to corruption. Never said that at all. BUT, I think I speak for several of us when I ASSUME that if I had a high dollar bull that either had the potential of selling or was selling thousands of thousands of dollars of semen, that extra care would be taken; string out of his pen, during a lightening storm have in in a barn (not under a tree), keep him off the ice, etc.  (One race horse "fell through the trailer floor" and the owner collected 5.5 million. Think for that calibur of a horse, I could have replaced the floor!)  Yes, crap does happen, but alot of crap is also planned.
Not ALL crooks are in cattle, but there are plenty of crooks into cattle.  I guess it all depends on how you define "crooks". Mine is probably a little more strict than others.

I do not know about this bull. Don't know his owners, didn't know the bull.
Has anyone heard how the bull died?