Alias or Yellow Jacket

Help Support Steer Planet:

muleman

Which bull is a better choice to use on Meyer 734 influenced cattle? I am tring to get some color but still have a chance at getting a good steer but if a heifer it would still be worth keeping. I am leaning toward Yellow Jacket do to soundness issues but have seen some good Alias calves. Let know what you think good and bad. Thanks

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The guy that bred Yellow Jacket uses Alias to make some real fancy females an has done enough of it that he must really like him.
It proves that with a full semen tank an very good knowledge of bloodlines an how your cow herd functions that you can produce some very good cattle ...

DCC show cattle

I am not a fan of yellow jacket nor alias but if the cow is super sound I would not be scared to use alias there are some great ones out of him he just wont work with my cows. Jmo

chambero

Do your cows have Maine/chi along with the Meyer or are they true Simi angus?  If they are Simiangus, you could use either - I'd go YJ if cows are small, Alias if they are bigger.  If your cows are real pretty - YJ.  Plainer - Alias.

Steer4Caddy

Use Alias.  Had and Alias x common meyer cow that was good.  Was black and white baldy.  Had some good calves out of him this past year and sold him to a neighbor of mine.  The cows need to be common and not clubby at all for soundness.  Not had a lot of luck with Yellow Jacket personally.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Just happened to have a Yellow Jacket   heifer with picture of her mother an it kinda falls in line with what Chambero said .

First picture is the YJ heifer born in March .

Second picture is full sister to Northern Gun a Angus bull out of Northern Improvement that was used by Carrosell Farms in Wisconsin .
Also have three calves out of her by Milkman  that sure are marketable .  The 0808 cow is the most refined an smallest Angus cow we have, she also has a full sister about five years younger that should also work...

Attachments

• IMG_6048 copy--0321-----.jpg
    IMG_6048 copy--0321-----.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6046 copy----0808---.jpg
    IMG_6046 copy----0808---.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 202

muleman

Some of the cows are meyer 734  X 3/8 maine 5/8 angus. Some are true F1 crosses. Which sire has the best hair? Also which one throws smokies?

chambero

Hair - YJ
Smoke - Alias.  All my YJs have been Yellow, red, or more white.  No silvers.

In reality, you wouldn't be messing up giving both a try

frostback

Alias is a true smoke. Meaning he carries one black gene and one red with the diluter.
YJ is a yellow. He carries two red genes with one of those with a diluter.
Alias to a homo black cow will give you a 50/50 black and smoke.
YJ to a homo black cow will give the same but the black calves will only be hetro black.
Alias to a hetro black cow is 50% black(only one homo black) 25% smoke 25% orangish.
YJ to a hetro black cow is 25% black 25% red 25% smoke 25% orangish.

clubcalve

My Alias calves have all been around the 85lb mark. I have heard that yellow Jackets have been a little bigger. I would use Yellow Jacket because I have had many unsound Alias calves but I have also had some great ones He just doesn't work on my cows. 

chambero

I don't think birthweight is a significant issue for either bull. My friends that have used Alias have never told me of any trouble.  Our cows that are bred to Yellow Jacket have to calve on their own out in big pastures.  I've never had any have trouble - but they are big o' stout calves.  We don't bother to weigh anything so I couldn't tell you what they weigh.

Tooker

Kris told me to use YJ on a rope necked, little tiny belly dragger. I have had some of both and the Alias' are better haired. YJ on your clubbied up hairy market heifers.