Inbreeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kailee TheKool

How close is too close? I have a 1oak heifer I'm trying to pick a bull for, but since she's got monopoly in her bloodlines, it's making it REALLY hard to find a bull that doesn't. How close should you generally breed?

Jive Turkey

How close is too close? I have a 1oak heifer I'm trying to pick a bull for, but since she's got monopoly in her bloodlines, it's making it REALLY hard to find a bull that doesn't. How close should you generally breed?
First calf heifer?

Kailee TheKool

First calf heifer?
Yep! I've got a few bulls picked out for calving ease for her first calf that don't have monopoly in their bloodlines
We're just trying to flush her and most bulls that complement her and/or are clean have monopoly in their lines, if that makes sense

Jive Turkey

Yep! I've got a few bulls picked out for calving ease for her first calf that don't have monopoly in their bloodlines
We're just trying to flush her and most bulls that complement her and/or are clean have monopoly in their lines, if that makes sense
OK, I thought you meant for a live calf. I'd just breed her to a low birth weight Angus.

I'd check with other breeders or a bull stud and ask their suggestions,

phillse

If it is not closer than 1/2 siblings I say don’t worry as long as she is clean of genetic defects and the bull you are using is as well. One of the best Shorthorn bulls I ever produced and as a oh crap that is as son over dam. She did not take AI that year and he was running cleanup. He just kept getting better and better. Had some pretty good luck breeding half siblings on the Simmental side both Sire and Dam by Nichols Legacy

CRS

Most of the clubby bulls are linebred heatwave or even Monopoly. As long as you know their defect status, you should get along ok. Irish Whiskey and Who da Man linebreed pretty well too.