Anyone else feel they're cracking up?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

"All I know is, everyones crazy except for you and me, and sometimes I wonder about you!"
                                                                    8)

red

all of you gave me a smile & sure brightened my day!!!!!

Red  (lol) (angel)

knabe

here's some interesting news.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/26/MN2011F0EG.DTL

An international team of researchers has spotted a previously unknown genetic mutation that can raise the risk of Alzheimer's disease by 44 percent and is carried by about a quarter of the U.S. and European populations studied.

The newly found defect controls a microscopic valve that governs how much calcium flows in and out of brain cells. Neurons with the bad gene appear to have a more difficult time drawing in calcium, a critical element in nerve cell biochemistry. Too little calcium promotes formation of amyloid plaque - tangles of protein found in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients.

The good news is that calcium valves have been heavily studied by drug companies, and they hold vast libraries of compounds that manipulate them. Too much calcium in certain cells can cause heart disease, and a variety of medicines known as calcium channel blockers are taken by millions, primarily to treat high blood pressure.

not sure how this is different from earlier studies, including one i was involved with as this gene was heavily targeted for single nucleotide polymorhpism (changes).

perhaps it was overlooked as it's relatively common and we're biased to look for rare changes that have an effect.

hopefully people won't get scammed by multi level marketing for calcium overdoses.