Broome Shorthorn Dispersal

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

At the front of the catalogue I was impressed with Magnet Boys Gresham. Did some research and Broome Quality's grandam is a result of a half sibs mating by Magnet Boys Gresham. We used Broome Quality when the semen was imported to Canada. He shows up in the background of Northern Legend 3N. As well a cow we purchased from Ralph Peterson, Cactus Flat Clare 11C was sired by Broome Quallity . We have two of her daughters still, one by Circle M Ghost Rider10G and the other by Mandalong Super Flag. The Frimley Captain Jim 38J bull of Bender's was also out of the Clare 11C cow.I  wouldn't mind having some semen from Magnet Boys Gresham today! (thumbsup)

Attachments

• Magnet Boys Gresham.png
    Magnet Boys Gresham.png
    286 KB · Views: 349

justintime

I have been looking through this sale catalog for several days and every time, I wish I lived closer. Guess a person could buy some cows and bring embryos over. There are some very useful genetics available in this sale. Thunderdownunder, you will have to be our official SP representative and let us know how it goes.

kfacres

justintime said:
I have been looking through this sale catalog for several days and every time, I wish I lived closer. Guess a person could buy some cows and bring embryos over. There are some very useful genetics available in this sale. Thunderdownunder, you will have to be our official SP representative and let us know how it goes.

Not to hijack this thread.. but how JIT do you get any consistancy in your calf crops with using such a wide variety of bloodlines from so many operations?  Its seems that you bounce around and buy from , here and there, buy this, buy that, etc... 

I know your response will be selective breeding decisons, and consistant specifications on purchases...  but I don't care how good of a stockman, and how much research is done...  not every head of livestock will breed true to its kind.  And there is no way possible that so many different bloodlines will cooperate together to form any kind of consistant product...

Not bashing...  just questioning. 

jaimiediamond

JIT is one of the cattle men blessed with a great eye and and the ability to make educated breeding decisions.  When talking to JIT you talk to a highly optimistic cattle man who knows pedigrees, and what crosses would work for his cattle operation.  With that said he is a man who is willing to take a risk; but when you look at his cattle you would see the risks paid off big time.

On a side note a large amount of the cattle in the sale are of Eionmor sired heritage which means that there isn't as much jumping around as you at first would think as that is a prominent Canadian herd.  Which brings us to the next point a lot of the Austrailian cattle are selected for the same traits our Canadian breeders are aiming for.

jaimiediamond

:) Well I recommend you go look at his herd and see the outcome instead of looking at pedigrees JIT always welcomes guests

justintime

the truth said:
justintime said:

Not to hijack this thread.. but how JIT do you get any consistancy in your calf crops with using such a wide variety of bloodlines from so many operations?  Its seems that you bounce around and buy from , here and there, buy this, buy that, etc... 

I know your response will be selective breeding decisons, and consistant specifications on purchases...  but I don't care how good of a stockman, and how much research is done...  not every head of livestock will breed true to its kind.  And there is no way possible that so many different bloodlines will cooperate together to form any kind of consistant product...Not sure what you mean in regards to buying here and there. I think I know what works for me, and I am not afraid to introduce new bloodlines providing the cattle have similar phenoty

It is interesting that you mention this today, as I was doing pasture checks today after a two day raging blizzard that was unexpected, and the thought passed through my mind that I would doubt very much that most people who saw my herd, could identify the bloodlines I have in my herd. Quite frankly, my cow herd isvery uniform, with the exception of a few cows that have been purchased for specific purposes. For example, I have purchased a few donor females specifically to produce embryos for specific markets. I have one donor, that I would be the first person who would say that she is definitely too big. I purchased her to produce embryos for Britain, where they want larger framed cattle than we do here. She has turned out to be an exceptional embyro producer, and I also find it very interesting, that she is now my most popular donor for sales in the US now. Her natural heifer calf was our high selling heifer in our sale last week, and an ET full brother is presently being considered as an AI sire for Ireland. I get more  inquiries about this cow, than any other in our herd.

I think that when I have to make most of my living from my cattle, that I also try to produce cattle for different potential buyers. Last week at our Sun Country sale, I had a commercial man ask me if I could find him a set of roan cows sired by Salute. Another commercial man is coming here tomorrow also looking for roan cows, and he also asked if I had any bred to Timeline. He saw our first Timeline bull in our bull sale last spring and he wants calves like him. I only AI bred two cows to Timeline, and both were red. I did flush a few donors to him and have some ET calves coming next spring. What I am saying, is that there are a variety of ideas out there as to what these producers want to raise. I have visited many many herds in the past few years, and I would say our herd is as uniform as any I have seen.

What made me think about this topic, was a direct daughter of Trump walked by as I was doing the pasture check. She is probably the fattest cow in that pasture, and she has tremendous thickness, depth of body, and has amazing fleshing ability. I wondered how many people would even guess what bloodline she was from.

As I said earlier, I believe breeding cattle is about blending bloodlines. Any animal I purchase is purchased on it's own merits rather than it's pedigree alone. Our main walking bulls are very similar in type, despite coming from various bloodlines. Major Leroy, Touchdown, Matrix and now Shadybrook Perfection, are all similar in frame and muscle pattern. Timeline is about a frame score bigger, but he is being used on a few select females to produce cattle for a specific market. I think all these bulls have excellent soundness.

I would invite anyone to come for a visit and see our cowherd. I would love to see if anyone could tell me which cows are straight beef ( non appendix) pedigreed, which ones  are appendix, and which ones are blends of these different bloodlines. I guess perception is everything in this business, and I oftentimes smile to myself, when I have someone tell me about how "pure' their herd is. I know of many cases, where there is lots of questionable genetics in many so called pure non appendix pedigrees.

Okotoks

justintime said:
I agree, I would love to go so today I bought my lottery tickets! There are a lot of useful looking catlle with some bloodlines I would like to get.

As a side note one of the hottest bulls in the US right now is Jake's Proud Jazz and he seems to be a consistent sire.He is the result of combining totally different bloodlines!

Thunderdownunder can you give us an Aussie interpretation of the reference sires?

thunderdownunder

justintime said:
Indeed I'll be going to this sale and will be quite happy to represent SP- I'm also happy to bid on anyone's behalf if they're interested  ;)
I think I actually mentioned this sale a while back on SP. It is a very big sale... 300+ lots. I did another dispersal today of the same size.
Okotoks said:
justintime said:
I agree, I would love to go so today I bought my lottery tickets! There are a lot of useful looking catlle with some bloodlines I would like to get.

As a side note one of the hottest bulls in the US right now is Jake's Proud Jazz and he seems to be a consistent sire.He is the result of combining totally different bloodlines!

Thunderdownunder can you give us an Aussie interpretation of the reference sires?

What in particular would you like to know?

thunderdownunder

jaimiediamond said:
:) Well I recommend you go look at his herd and see the outcome instead of looking at pedigrees JIT always welcomes guests

I recommend questioning JIT directly - and privately.

kfacres

JIT, you have prob said it 100 times,  but how many cows do you run?  How many are PB, and how many are recips?  of the PB side, how many would you say you produced, percentage wise, ?  as compared to purchased ones?

thanks for the response!

aj

One thing I always wondered about was these transplant cows was the following. Is a cow that flushes 12 eggs or whatever the equivilent to a fertile cow on the range? Or in other words....could a cow that flushes up 3 eggs or whatever be a cow that could have tremendous stayabilty and not miss a calf for 13 years. Has any data been studied on this? Is a good flushing cow a good stayabilitycow? I don't know. Are we unintentially selecting for high producers when they may or may not survive on a range. Maybe there is no correlation. Maybe there is a correlation.Seems like to me you take out a certain amount of selection pressure when you transplant a cow early and often. I spose its to late to flush 13 year old cows....I don't know.

justintime

the truth said:
JIT, you have prob said it 100 times,  but how many cows do you run?  How many are PB, and how many are recips?  of the PB side, how many would you say you produced, percentage wise, ?  as compared to purchased ones?

thanks for the response!

I am not going to continue to hijack this thread about the famous Broome dispersal. I feel there are lots of cows in this sale that could benefit Shorthorn breeders in many parts of the world. In many ways, it is sad to see the end of a great breeding operation, but I am sure there are very good reasons for this happening. I will be most happy to tell you more about my herd if you PM me. I do not think this is what this thread was started for.

sue

I did look at the catalog yet . Does anyone know why the dispersal?

aj

C'mon JIT you did a 5 paragraph dity on your herd......now you are going to quit? ;D

Okotoks

sue said:
It looks like they survived over a dozen years of drought and maybe decided it was time.

thunderdownunder

sue said:

Okotoks is on the right track. They've been doing it pretty tough down there for a number of years now - and all credit to the family for persisting despite some terrible bad luck. I won't go into detail. But I think a large part is also the fact that David and Terri's kids don't appear to be interested in the cattle, so there is no one to take on the herd.
It's a very big shame that they are dispersing, but I guess now is as good a time as any to do so. Most producers are having a good year with some cash flow - a big change - and Broome took a very good team of bulls to Dubbo this year which should draw some interest. My pics so far is the lot 3 cow, which was the mother of a white bull purchased by Belmore Shorthorns at Dubbo this year. The bull was outstanding, to say the very least. He turned more than a few heads.