Broome Shorthorn Dispersal

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

While it seems sad to see leading breeding herds like the Broome herd disperse, there are usually many reasons for doing this. Any usually many good reasons. I think I have seen as much drought as I ever want to see in my lifetime, and I know that it can eventually kill that part of a person that makes them want to continue on in the beef breeding business. I am not saying this is what has happened in the case of this herd, but selling the cows is sometimes the right thing to do for the right set of reasons.

A friend of mine dispersed his herd a couple years ago, and he tells me that there actually is " life after cows". I am not sure if I totally believe him, but he swears it is true. He was a man who lived and breathed this business, to a point where it almost consumed his entire life. I was concerned that this may affect him adversely when he sold, but he has never looked back and he says he has never been happier. Guess I have to believe him, as he certainly appears to be moving on with his life and enjoying it fully. He is making me start to think....Hmmm... could there actually be life after cows?

garybob

justintime said:
While it seems sad to see leading breeding herds like the Broome herd disperse, there are usually many reasons for doing this. Any usually many good reasons. I think I have seen as much drought as I ever want to see in my lifetime, and I know that it can eventually kill that part of a person that makes them want to continue on in the beef breeding business. I am not saying this is what has happened in the case of this herd, but selling the cows is sometimes the right thing to do for the right set of reasons.

A friend of mine dispersed his herd a couple years ago, and he tells me that there actually is " life after cows". I am not sure if I totally believe him, but he swears it is true. He was a man who lived and breathed this business, to a point where it almost consumed his entire life. I was concerned that this may affect him adversely when he sold, but he has never looked back and he says he has never been happier. Guess I have to believe him, as he certainly appears to be moving on with his life and enjoying it fully. He is making me start to think....Hmmm... could there actually be life after cows?
Duane Sicht said the same thing.

GB

trevorgreycattleco

thunderdownunder said:
sue said:
I did look at the catalog yet . Does anyone know why the dispersal?

Okotoks is on the right track. They've been doing it pretty tough down there for a number of years now - and all credit to the family for persisting despite some terrible bad luck. I won't go into detail. But I think a large part is also the fact that David and Terri's kids don't appear to be interested in the cattle, so there is no one to take on the herd.
It's a very big shame that they are dispersing, but I guess now is as good a time as any to do so. Most producers are having a good year with some cash flow - a big change - and Broome took a very good team of bulls to Dubbo this year which should draw some interest. My pics so far is the lot 3 cow, which was the mother of a white bull purchased by Belmore Shorthorns at Dubbo this year. The bull was outstanding, to say the very least. He turned more than a few heads.

To bad I don't live down under. I would be knockin on their door to apply for the herdsman lol! Very good reading. Thanks

mark tenenbaum

I guess Im kind of proud that Byland Explosian worked for Broome-TALK about big. Well-I bought his mother in 1991-when Leeds bought him-she was my favorite cow I ever had-She produced a couple other good bulls-and lived in harsh range conditions-raising her last calf in 2001,(at 14+)and the only hiefer I ever got out of her.. That cows Shorthorn  daughters are: a maybe 5 frame  club caf producing tank  and the polar opposite to Explosion- The other one just weaned, went to Ohio-and will be shown by Mark Sims kids (my kids love Shorthorns) ditto-not very tall-pretty heavy,really stout. O0

thunderdownunder

Sooooo..... some results which I know a few people are itching to hear.....

Everything sold except for one sire.
Top price was $8000
164 cows and calves averaged $3015
49 two-year-olds (half with calves, the rest to calve) averaged $2561
74 yearling heifers averaged $1463
Four sires averaged $6125

And now, feel free to fire away with the questions!

Aussie

Did not sound like an expensive sale. Did any come down here I know of a few buyers that were going? What did lot 63 make?
<beer>

garybob

Aussie said:
Did not sound like an expensive sale. Did any come down here I of a few buyers that were going? What did lot 63 make?
<beer>
They'd "pop" and bounce back from drought-stress very nicely if any of these cows were taken to Tasmania. best wishes to both Consignor and Buyers, alike.

GB

thunderdownunder

All of the cattle presented extremely well- they were a real credit to the breeders. I was most impressed.
Not an expensive sale, but some real sleepers in there.
Good cattle.

Lot 63 was withdrawn. A white daughter by the Weebollabolla bull sold as lot 240 and was a nice little heifer- she made $1250. I've got a couple of ticks next to her.