cattle nutrition

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

I have a 600+ pg book on nutitrtion and some other things, on it's way ;D and it was only 6 bucks ;D (clapping)

so how would i firgure out the protein on the following ration??

1200 lbs. cracked corn
400 lbs. cotton seed hulls
200 lbs. steam rolled oats
200 lbs. soy bean meal

thanks a lot

renegade

We have one place that mixes their own feed around here and i am not sure if they do it for other people or not. The delima i have about asking them for advice/or to mix feeds for me is that the feed they mix simply Sucks. I think it is do to the quality of feeds they mix. But i have started useing Fitters Edge,the guy that i am working with this year has some of the top animals at the shows i go to and he told me to use that and we should switch to finisher like 60 days from the fair and my steers LOVE it. I was at my bro's 4-h meeting and they were watching a video on purina feeds and they said DO NOT add anything to there feed because it is a full feed and adding stuff would make it unbalaced. I may look into how much it would cost to get "fitters edge" mixed and bagged for me, again i am worried about their quality but it wont be justifiable to feed all of my new cattle fitters edge...too much money... it worked with just two steers but 3 heifers and 6 steers will eat too much at $15.85 a bag

red

Cattle.com also has some sites on their feed page. http://www.cattle.com/cattlefeed/
Not sure if any will give you more ideas or not.

Red

CAB

KDSC  that will be very easy. You just take the ingredients in lbs multiply that amount by the percentages of protein as-fed per ingredient, add the total lbs of protein up and set up an equation for %. I have not looked up the protein content for your ingredients, but I will use your ingredients for a simple example, again I guessed on the protein content. You will need to get into a book or on the computer to find the actual %s.

1200lbs corn X 9.3%=111.6 lbs protein
400lbs cottonseed hulls X .05%=2lbs
200lbs rolled oats X 11.5%=23lbs
200lbs SBM X 44%=88lbs protein

add up the protein, gives a total of 224.6 lbs of protein as-fed basis. Now we set up an equation to find percent protein for the whole ration, or 224.6 X 100/2000 = Y. or 22460/2000= 11.23%protein. does that all make sense to you? If you want a little higher final protein content I would add a little SBM or the SBM that is used here could be 48% which is what I usually would use b/c it is usually cheaper /lb of protein.

KDSC why don't you figure out the protein ration using 48% SBM and post it back up please. Homework on the board, who would have guessed?I'll be waiting for your answer. LOL. Cab

KDSC

1200lbs corn X 9.5%=117. lbs protein
400lbs cottonseed hulls X 4.1%=16.4 lbs protein
250lbs rolled oats X 13.4%=33.5 lbs protein
200lbs SBM X 53.9%=107.8 lbs protein

total % of protein = 13.43%

KDSC

heres another ration, I made up

1200 lbs cracked corn
200 lb cotten seed hulls
300 lb rolled oats
200 lb soy bean meal
100 lb mollases

13.98 % protein

Jill

renegade said:
We have one place that mixes their own feed around here and i am not sure if they do it for other people or not. The delima i have about asking them for advice/or to mix feeds for me is that the feed they mix simply Sucks. I think it is do to the quality of feeds they mix. But i have started useing Fitters Edge,the guy that i am working with this year has some of the top animals at the shows i go to and he told me to use that and we should switch to finisher like 60 days from the fair and my steers LOVE it. I was at my bro's 4-h meeting and they were watching a video on purina feeds and they said DO NOT add anything to there feed because it is a full feed and adding stuff would make it unbalaced. I may look into how much it would cost to get "fitters edge" mixed and bagged for me, again i am worried about their quality but it wont be justifiable to feed all of my new cattle fitters edge...too much money... it worked with just two steers but 3 heifers and 6 steers will eat too much at $15.85 a bag
That is what our formula replicates and it was 322 per ton the last time we had it ground, price may be different in your area.  Feed stuffs at the mill have to be good would be the only draw back to that if they are not.

CAB

Good job KDSC. I think that you have the hang of it. I noticed on your one ration that you have 250 lbs of rolled oats which is fine, only you'll have to use 2050 lbs in your equation for percent protein. Good work. Cab

KDSC

the first time i firgured out the ration i used 2000 and then i remebered i need to change it to 2050 so i did nd thats what i got.  What do you think about those rations??

CAB

I forgot to add that most of the time you will want to use the as-fed #s b/c that's how you are feeding it to your calves. There are times that you need to do ingredients on a dry-matter basis, but that is more when you are figuring out prices and comparing.

CAB

I like your ration with the molasses a little bit better, b/c the molasses will add flavor and cut down on the fine meal and dust. How do the 2 rations compare on price? I assume that you didn't guess on the protein values as I did, but rather pulled them up out of some text. Make sure that they are as-fed basis.

KDSC

I haven firgured prices on either of them.  I will do that when i finish cleaning the pig pens :mad:  How do you do the as fed??

CAB

Most nutrition books will have the nutrients listed as-fed and also dry matter basis. Use the as-fed #s.

KDSC

I should have the price, after lunch time.  What would I need, if i wanted to mix my own feed?? a roller, grinders, bagger??  The local coop is tearing down their feed mill and i have the oppurtunity to buy the equitment i need.. :'(

CAB

First you would have to put alot of thought into what you want to try to do. For cattle, a roller mill mixer would get most things done. The bagger may come in handy. If you decide to look into it, make sure that you understand whether the motors are single or 3 phase. For on farm use, I would look into a used grinder-mixer, it would work. Putting a mill together would require alot of inputs, but if they are selling it cheap, it may be worth looking @.

KDSC

We have a grinder here on the farm. we have both single phase and 3 phase. it will be only for cattle, and horses.  So basicly all i need is a roller, and a bagger. I want the bagger so it will be eaiser to feed and when I am out of town, My hired hands wont mess something up ;D

KDSC

Oh yeah just checked the answering machine and the second ration(below) figures out to be $315 a ton, bagged and delivered so it would be $285 a ton if i didnt have it bagged, and i cant remeber if i had her add rumension in it or not :'( :)))
1200 lbs cracked corn
200 lb cotten seed hulls
300 lb rolled oats
200 lb soy bean meal
100 lb mollases

CAB

you'll need some type of mixer with the roller. will you have somewhere to buy whatever bags that you'll need or how will you get them?

garybob

Nutrition? Are we talking about supplementation when forages are unavailable, or are we "pampering" and putting cattle in an artificial, unnatural environment?