Culling unproductive not up-to standard females

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

I'm about ready to make a big cull from my herd.  I have some older cows, and some younger ones that haven't met my "standards".  I've given them many a chance to prove themselves.  I only have 30 cows and sell show cattle so I'm culling the non-profitable ones.  Here's my delemia...  I just want to sell them at the sale barn.  In my opinion that is where they need to go.  I have recently be approached by someone interested in them.  My problem is they are the type of people nobody makes happy, at least I've never seen them happy and never heard them say something nice about anyone.  I think we should ship them to the sale barn...Hubby wants to consider selling some to these people.  I feel they will hurt our reputation more than anything.

OK...what would you do???  I thought this would make a good conversation on here.  No I'm not naming names, not sure if they even come on here...plus no need to get nasty.  I just thought I'd get some opinions. (thumbsup)

LazyGLowlines

I'd take them to the sale barn and let those people know that's where they can buy them. 

knabe

I'd sell them to them.  you won't lose the commission price, travel costs. etc.  if everyone knows they bad mouth cattle, people will already know and it's not that big of a deal.

LN

If these animals aren't good enough to meet your standards, then would they meet the standards of the person who wants to buy them?

Maybe if you make the seller aware that these are the lower performing animals in your herd, and they still want them, then I would sell them.

Bulldaddy

I would take them to the sale barn.  Your reputation as a breeder is more valuable then the extra dollars you would get from selling your culls to a "hard to please" customer.

wsc

Had the same thing last year sold two cows we had gave a chance and still didint impress us, and had a guy who wanted to buy them and he was the same way never satisfied with anybody he did business with.  So i told him they will be at the sale barn on friday if you want them you buy them there and i have nothing todo with them after that.  And he did buy them and havint heard a word since.  Thats how i would handle it,  it worked for me.

chambero

If the extra money isn't significant, doing business with someone like that isn't worth it.  We have turned down selling cattle to people before for this very reason.  If they are someone that talks crap about anyone they do business, better just to steer clear - even if they wanted to buy a dead dog from you.

LazyGLowlines

wsc said:
Had the same thing last year sold two cows we had gave a chance and still didint impress us, and had a guy who wanted to buy them and he was the same way never satisfied with anybody he did business with.  So i told him they will be at the sale barn on friday if you want them you buy them there and i have nothing todo with them after that.   And he did buy them and havint heard a word since.   Thats how i would handle it,   it worked for me.
totally agree....

sjcattleco

Here is some thoughts... First if these cows are fertile and are producing calves EVERY year that is a positive... They are commercial cows period. If you represent them as that then you have a good valuable product to sell.  One idea is to  have the local sale barn owner/ manager act as a broker and make  the deal!  He may find another buyer or 2.  you get your asking price or more.... The broker delivers the cows " that is important"  He gets a haul bill plus a commission .......and the idiot actually buys them from the broker not you.... That way you do not actually deal with him and  are not obligated to make this DUDE happy and the deal is done!!!

I would actually try this IF there was a chance that you take them to the sale barn and the market is crap that day and the goofball steals them... If your local barn is SOLID and a good cow market and its not worth the hassle then just unload them..

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
When your building a herd the sale barn proably is the best place to go, but as long as you are honest an work hard for your customers don;t worry about what people think , some people were born to be trader an hard to get along with, when some of your work an honesty starts to show up with better cattle to market or show  that's when things start getting interesting, some people don't cope with other peoples success very well, an then very one talks more about what you have done.... An their are certain people that you can't satisfy an in the years to come your numbers of people you have sold to starts to add up an it is impossible to please everyone, it's a good goal but it's pretty hard to achieve ...but if you did a honest job an select  the right cattle you will succeed  ...........