Fly Control Options?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

Question?  ???

What are the best ways that you have found to control flies on cattle out on pasture, and not using ear tags or insecticide in your cattle mineral?

I am trying to avoid working the cows through the chute again.  (dog)

Thanks In Advance!!  (clapping)

AStar

I am using the emerald fly control mineral and it is working very good. I almost gave it up because it took 4 weeks to start working but now all cows and calves are fly free. I will pour them next year the day I put the first batch out. It is kinda pricey @ $25 to $28 per bag but it works.

Simmgal

You can buy cattle rubs that go across an entrance to a barn or pen and the cattle walk under them and get fly control product on them. There are also mineral holders that have oilers that take care of face flies and have rubs on the side that take care of body flies. If we have cattle that are unusually bad with flies, we spray them with fly spray, but the mineral feeder has been the best for us.

SEA

What have you found to be the best cattle Oilers/Scratchers available?  Names, brands, maybe a photo.  Perhaps someone would have a website for the company that makes them or livestock equipment supply company that carries this type of cattle equipment.

Thanks again.

Simmgal

We have these at our homeplace
http://easywaycattlecare.com/index.php

And we have a big red one at our other farm that has been working for about 5 years, but we can't remember where we got it. I can post pics when I go down there again, but im not sure when that will be. If you are really interested, I can try tomorrow, but I will be gone all next week for our state FFA convention.

SEA

Simmgal said:

And we have a big red one at our other farm that has been working for about 5 years, but we can't remember where we got it. I can post pics when I go down there again, but im not sure when that will be. If you are really interested, I can try tomorrow, but I will be gone all next week for our state FFA convention.

Thank you this is great!

Simmgal

SEA said:
Simmgal said:

Thank you this is great!
Any time! I went and checked, and our other one is a DEL-MAR, but I can't find a website. I hope they work as good for you as they have for us!  ;)