Genetic drift......is there such a thing?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I was working a farm field yesterday. Conventional tillage and I noticed round up resisent kochia in the field....you could even see how seed was scattered......apparently with a plant blowing across the field. It looked different than normal kochia......bushier or something. As I understand it a one in a million kochia plant had a minor mutation that allowed it to stand up to round up. It seeded and then over 15 years or so it has become a major problem. I think beef cattle do the same thing.

aj

Show cattle that don't have enviromental pressure put on them..............scare me. Anything with with enviromental pressure put on it will have problems weeded out. If you have a line of show cattle.....an embryo put in a recipt cow that calves and is bred to a bull who never bred a cow natural. This embryo has 10 daughters who never calve......they are et'd.......etc etc. They are all feed show rations all their lives......no normal forage rations......no enviromental pressure......a few genetic drifts that aren't allowed to be cleaned up. To me it looks like a line of cattle could become useless. Not useless cause they are show cattle......useless cause they never have enviromental pressure put on them.

knabe

If roundup is used on it, its genetic diversity will narrow dramatically.

Kind of like gene tests on cattle.

The opportunity of having something useful will diminish over time. 

Too bad that prairie grass needs to be overgrazed as its growth has been matched to resources over centuries.

aj

Was the bison antiqius a different species than bison bison. Or did the antiqius drift genetically into a smaller more adaptable form?

knabe

aj said:
Was the bison antiqius a different species than bison bison. Or did the antiqius drift genetically into a smaller more adaptable form?

was the angus in the 80's a different species than the angus in the 50's and now or did they just drift genetically into a more adaptable form.

i'm inclined to think that narrowing a gene pool with little changed besides size does not result in a different species.  i'm also inclined to think that there are a lot less species than we have categorized which we like to do because we like a larger species number.

aj

I would assume that with millions of acres and billions of Kochia plants......that there was more than one mutation(roundup resistent). At least variations.......like th in cattle. Kinda of a stretch with comaparison but I would think there would be something similar to th and the th(outcast) type within the Kochia population. AND possibly a mutation of the original mutation. That is how organism's figure out how to survive this planet. Adapt, and improvise. I think the same things in humans. If you took away all heart medication,vaccinations,antibiotics,blood pressure pills,anti depressants..........the humans would swing down a slightly different path as far as genetic makeup is concerned.

aj

Instead of mobile,agile and hostile.......i have drifted into docile,immobile and imbecile.

aj

The plague in some ways was natural selection. Did the lucky ones die of luck? Or did the survivors have just a little different twist in  genetic markers. When us crazy assed crackers went to the America's the natives didn't handle the white man diseases well. Is this because they hadn't developed resistence or was it because they hadn't been weeded through before this.......or both.

knabe

Diseases went both ways.

Also Clovis tip man disappeared after the non-native non-benevolent Indians immigrated here.

No human was native to the America's.

aj

They are are no natives in this world till God placed them in Africa 150 thousand years ago. There were pre-Clovis people in North and South America. The native Americans did send siphlis back to Europe........ba ba bahahahahahahah. That'll teach the crazy ass honky's. I think the Irish race is superior cause do to their hard drinking..........I'm thinking.....they weeded out the weak livers.

aj

Should round up resistent Kochia be given its own name. Its a different plant. Possibly name it Aihcok? Sell it as a high protein feed. Hell it's round up ready. Plant it just like round up ready corn. They don't allow round up ready sorghum sudan.