Private Treaty Sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

CJC

I'm just wondering; when these sales are going on and you are bidding on one. Who's to say that the price the person is giving you over the phone is correct and not just pulling one out of the air.

DLD

When you're bidding at a live auction, who's to say whoever you're bidding against is trying to buy the calf or trying to run you up? 

Two things about buying in a phone sale (or any other way); 1 - If you don't trust whoever you're buying from, you prob'ly should go on down the road, because you'll never be satisfied they didn't get to you somehow... and 2 - Make up your mind what that calf is worth to you, and don't worry about who's bidding against you.  When the bid's more than the calf's worth to you, walk away.

All that said however, in (the admittedly few of) these kind of sales I've actually bought in, once you get one bought, they'll tell you who the runner up bidder was, and you're free to contact them to verify that.

Jill

I can guarantee you I feel like I have been "run" way more sitting at live auctions than I have sitting at home on the phone type of sales, nothing funnier than watching an auctioneer do the back stroke when they get stuck with one (thumbsup)

nck21

I like the online auctions that breeders world has set up. It looks like it would be easier for the buyer get a calf bought.

OH Breeder

I think what is more frustrating is when they run the bid in an open auction. Here a month ago I went to an auction. I had the bid at 700 and there was no one at 800. The auctioneer asked for 800 and when they ended up they said I owed 800. No one was really paying attention. They ran 48 head through in 51 minutes. I watched this perticular auctioneer do this to a few more during the sale. It took me a minute but after watching the remainder of the lots sell I saw him bump the end bids $50-$100 on lots. I guess in the future I am going to stop the ringman and say, no I was in at 700. There was no one at 800.

Phone auctions take alto of trust. you have to trust the folks on the other end of the phone that they are for real. IF anyone ever found out they were running there own stock up and bidding against you in some states that is called shilling and its illegal. You just have to catch the person. It is done more than I think we know.

jackpotcattle

All i have to say is that it is really sad how little trust we as a society have in eachother. A saying that pretty much says it all "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash!"

cdncowboy

As for the live auction deal, had that happen at a sale last winter, was on at 2200.  When I went to make settlement it was suddenly 2300.  That said who hasn't sold cattle at a live auction without a set floor price, just the one in your head, and have someone "looking" after the animal for you.  No one seems to mind this if their selling its an acceptable practice,  and if the person doing the "looking after" has any feel for an auction will usually try and get a few extra dollars out of the opposing bidder.

Have to agree with DLD have your price in mind and stick with it no matter the situation.  Our private treaty sale ends with most of the bidders their in person so they can see the person their bidding against, how ever we always have a few phone bidders as well.  Now the skeptic could say is there actually anyone on the other end of the phone?  If something doesn't seem right, just like any other business dealings, just thank them for their time and move on.

shortdawg

I was bidding on a bred heifer at a popular Shorty Sale and was at $3500 then suddenly they said I was in at $5000. Stopped the whole deal when I told them I was at $3500. 3(5)00 to (5)000 - pretty good ploy by the auctioneer. They started the lot over and I bid the same again and she of course sold for $5000 but not to me.

I have bought several on the Private Treaty bid-off and never felt like I was getting the shaft. I do trust the guy I'm dealing with. If I ever had any reason to think otherwise it would be the end of our business.