Riddle

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

That's right AAOK.. there is a lot ot be said for using your noggen for more than a hat rack. When I went to school there were no calculators and the only computers filled big rooms at universities. By the way, I did all the calculations in my head simply because my calculator was in another room and I was too lazy to go get it.

shorthorns r us

all you teenagers and college kids should feel pretty bad.  i wasn't going to post this but i can't resist.  my 9 year old did it in his head.  no calculator.  not even pencil and paper.

shorthorns r us

i have a syntax error with this problem.  is the individual included as one of the 11 generations? or is it 11 generations of ancestors beginning with the parents?

as for an answer, it begins with less than or equal to "<=" ...
;D

knabe

hey sru,

yeah, i thought of that as soon as i hit post

including the single individual at the apex of the pedigree.

i guess the same issue arises when you ask someone would you rather have a million dollars today, or double a penny every day for 30 days, how much would you have, so that one includes the penny.

i guess another way to ask this question is,

how many indivduals are necessary to add to the original individual to get the same number of indivdiuals in the last number of indiduals in a pedigree?

SSIMMENTALS

Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!  (clapping) (clapping) SARAH

CPL

AAOK-

One of the Math teachers at my school had just offered that question up for extra credit last week. I didn't have the teacher, but just seeing in my other classes the students were having just about as much trouble as some on here. Good Riddle.

knabe

this is a tricky question.

in generation 1, the orginal one, there is only one indidivual,
in the second, there is 2
in the thired, there is 4
in the 11th, there is only 1024

if one shifted the question to not use the single individual, then the answer is 2048

pedigree wizards, is it convention to start counting generations with the parents?

the answer is at only one point in the pedigree, not adding up the previous individuals in previous spots in the pedigree, although it is interesting one only has to add one to the orginal individual to get the same number, ie adding up all the previous individuals, not including the last pedigree position to equal the last pedigree position.

counting is a program in programming.  do i start with 0 or 1 is a common bug.