What bull died in Texas ----

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Steaks

I heard that houston never produced semen is that true? if so thats 2 bulls down the drain from the same clone donor

chambero

:)I'm sure your on to something with the Strictly Business bloodlines attracting lighning!  We bought two SB sons and one got struck by lightning a week after we got him home!  ;)

Show steers are actually real cattle.  Bulls are bulls. And most bulls are danged nuisances anytime they aren't out on pasture doing what bulls are supposed to do - AI sires or not.  Except for the absolute top sellers, most of these guys that own these AI bulls try to keep them out on cows.  And crap happens.  We run a dozen or so bulls at any one time and we lose one or two year more often than not due to fights (when they are off cows and together in our "bull pastures"), hurting their backs breeding cows, etc.

I haven't seen a ton of the popular AI sires, but I have seen quite a few at places like Kris Black's and Griswolds - and guess what - they treat them like real bulls.  They are kept in pastures more often than not running with other bulls during the off season.  Bulls don't do well fastened up in pens - even the expensive ones. 

I'm a little suspicious of the health of clones and am generally not bothering to use them, but it's just an opinion I have - never been around any personally.  I think there are enough other options.

I have no idea what happened to this bull, but I do know his primary owner and know that the other owner is a vet.  I can guarantee you they weren't being stupid with him.  Stuff just happens to bulls.

the angus111

your right on chambero,things just happen to bulls and heifers.i had a nice bull calf ,a few years back went in the front of a gillantine squeeze chute,stuck his head in playing with the rope,it shut on him ,the more he fought ,it choked more. killed him.ignorancce on our part for not having it down,never thought it would of happened.had a cow get snake bit,killed her.things happen.and it seems to be the good ones it happens to.cant kill knotheads or old crossbredbroken mouth cows.rusty

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
TALKING ABOUT bulls an death an injury back in our country the Angus bulls seem to attract injury especially while they are breeding, an I raise an guarantee them firsty breeding season , compare them to the Charolais bulls there no comparison, if you get two years breeding out of a Angus bull , your proably are getting close to the end, had a neighbor had over ten head of Charolais bulls the were over 9 years of age an was just going to weigh them up because worried about them being that old, but the vet said he didn't have a lot of bulls still going at that age ,an in very good shape ...I know I replace quite a few more Angus bulls , but people must noy care cause I also sell more ....

jbw

Freddy, I have run chars and blacks. I think the angus bulls get into more problems because they have a higher libido and get themselves into situations that they get hurt. Before we did alot of AIing we would have 30 bulls around. The blacks were more agressive. Just what I have seen.

j3cattleco

Before we had bulls I was always skeptical of the bulls getting hurt thing or dying also, but we have had a major injury to Ivy League this year.  He is doing fine now, but it was sketchy for a few weeks.  He stepped in a gopher hole and messed up his shoulder.  We have also had a really expensive cow die in the last year so I have become alot less skeptical of the animals getting hurt thing I guess.

Joshua

Joe Boy

SHAGGY said:
Actually that was one of the mysteries of cloning is the increase in aging, it has been a problem to geneticist since the cloning of Dolly, i dont know what kind of explanation they have for it or if it is being fixed but this was a real problem not just an opinion.  I did a little research on this when i was taking a genetics class in college and there are so many things we still dont know about clones it amazes me that the FDA approved clones safe for human consumption.  

THAT OLD AD SAID, "It's not nice to mess with mother nature."

Many stud bulls die young it seems to me.  Also, there are those that die young on the farm due to fighting.  I have used natural bulls 10 years without any problems.  Some ranchers will not look at a bull over 3 due to many things but longevity in the herd is one of them.  Cows, like women, for the most part out live us guys.  We are more accident prone.

I have also read that there is an aging problem with closes.  But there are lots of other factors as well.

GONEWEST

Show heifer, now I didn't misunderstand anything you said, not at all. And I didn't mean to single you out but I was speaking in general of those "several" you speak for that "ASSUME" the worst in human nature even though no facts are known. What I said was that it must be miserable to live that cynically. That's all.

jackpotcattle

What's the saying to ASSUME is to make an ASS out of YOU and ME. I am guilty of it too, but man we are quick to have a really strong assumption on things. There is no such thing as innocent until proving guilty its the other way around. And I am not trying to pick on anybody, just calm down and put the other shoe on  ;)

Show Heifer

My bad gonewest, I guess since this was brought up, someone must know why he died. Anyone? 
I have seen enough in the cattle business to be suspicious and gladly am proved wrong some of the time. I have lost livestock from dumb things. I have lost livestock to things out of my control, and unfortunately, I have lost livestock to things that, looking back, WERE in my control. Things DO happen, but again, I am suspicious, not in just THIS instance, but in general. I don't call that cynical, I call that "real life experiences".

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
One thing on the Angus bulls in this area they are proably pushed to hard but every one is trying to have them as big as the next guy , the  Angus buls l are plenty active except you do notice them in the shade more when it is hot than the white bulls ,but the Char bulls don't handle the cold as good sometimes ...

Back when Iworked for a SIMMI outfit an they hada bunch of commercial cattle an wanted better conception an also raised some simmi bulls an were not moving them real good that  year they put in about twice as many as usual .
Talk about a wreck , you can have to many bulls an cause you lots of trouble too.... hurt a bunch of them ...

jbw

About fifteen years ago we had three bulls in with 82 cows. A four year old Char. and a five year old char., We ran a yearling simmy with them. The two old boys fought and fought. The next spring we had 52 black/ black baldy calves. That young bull took care of business. Since then we try to match bulls up that get along!