What to breed My 3yr old angus to. bando 5175

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCF Farms

Have a 3 yr old Angus cow  deep bodied, long necked, and good boned. Should I breed her Angus, Simmy, or Clubby and to which bull ?

Attachments

• angus.jpg
    angus.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 243

wrc

Alias does work good on angus cows.  If your thinking Angus take a hard look at Duff New Edition,  I got a chance to look at their spring and fall calves not long ago and the New Editions were by far the best calves.

shorthorngirl2010

angus- northern improvement, plainview black velvet (smooth move), owyhee
simmi- ss undreamable, wle quota (both on cattlevisions)
clubby- like the benz idea. if shes correct strucutrally, who

OH Breeder

You cow has plenty of depth that Hannibal would make some cool calves out of her. Heat Seeker would throw some thick little clubby steers. Macho would make for nice half blood simmi's and great replacement momma's. As good as your cow is you have a lot of possiblities. Nice female. Vegas would give you some coool blue roans possiblely. Really like Irish WHiskey on angus cows for females...that has worked for Collins and GCC.

Show Heifer

Lots of bulls would probably work.... I would lean toward something with an extended front end, and some "style".
Regardless of what you use (especially angus), I would look very hard into genetic defects. Listen to barn talk that isn't official.
Nice looking cow....

rtmcc

Angus -- BC Lookout!  You will like them.  Super sound, deep bodies and thick with cool fronts.  He would also moderate the frame a little on a 5175.  Should be clean to  all known defects.

Ron
<cowboy>

RCF Farms

I have been breeding some benz on my other cows, just wondwering what would be the most valuable either to sell or keep? I thought about  Duff's Standout and or  Hobart as Angus sires to breed to

Show Steaks

duff's bull outer limits (angus) <<<we had great success with him adds lots of butt and deoth of body and keeps them pretty also adda nice front, EXT or saugahtchee
simmy-Rock Solid, Grandmaster, maximus
clubby-simple math, smilin bob, maxxim, WHOOOOOO!

RCF Farms

I bought some who mad who semen before it went up in price just to breed to her, will do that at some point. Kinda leaning toward a reg. angus calf or a 1/2 blood simmy instead of clubby this next go around

trevorgreycattleco

I agree with Ron, Lookout is tough to beat. I would breed her angus myself. EXT and Saugahatchee are a little to high headed for my taste. Awesome females but a little too nervous for me. She looks like she would for sure make a good replacement female with Lookout or maybe BC 7022 Raven. Good luck!
Nice cow!

Brock

Show Heifer

Read  my post freddy.... for whatever reason the aaa seems to be dragging its feet, but there are ways to get info.
Selecting a bull to use is not longer a "pretty picture" search.

Show Heifer

I am not freddy but will try and answer.
Fawn Calf (FC) is a genetic defect in angus cattle that the Australians have identified many years ago. They have proven and named sires from the United States that carry that defect.
The aaa has refused to "accept" their research and are doing their own. They will not recognize or deny the bulls in question.  They have been "researching" this for the last 1-2 years, but for whatever reason, have refused to name the bulls.
Pressure has been mounting for names, but nothing has come about.
If you have angus calves that have been born with such a look, please take ear samples and send to Dr.Beever, as well as contacting the aaa. Take pics, keep a sample for yourself, and then follow the aaa protocol.

FC is a genetic defect where calves are born that resemble a fawn deer; very fine boned, very small, fine hair are the most recognized traits. Some are born alive but need extensive assistance to stand and nurse, and without help, would surely die. Many are born dead. Those that are born alive, and get the extensive care they need to survive, will always be much smaller or poorer doing.

Maybe DL can expand on my simple thoughts!

ploughshare

U of Ill is working on a test, but the defect seems to include many more alleles then either AM or NH.  They will eventually get an ACCURATE  test, but it will take some time and until then the AAA will not push the issue.  I believe the Australians have indicated the Bando 598 line as one that might be involved with fawn calf.  5175 is a 598 son. Advantage Cattle has a huge discussion on this.