Galloway Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

HAB

Comments- good or bad, like or dislike,  let me know.

Thanks,

HAB

Attachments

• BR3[1].jpg
    BR3[1].jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 273
  • br2.jpg
    br2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 251
  • br1.jpg
    br1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 270
  • br2[1].jpg
    br2[1].jpg
    75 KB · Views: 247

olsun

I have always had a soft spot for the Galloway. I like your heifers. Lots of body.

Bradenh

sure are deep bodied!!! never seen that much hair on cattle. not your everyday brahman heifer down here  O0

SFASUshowman

Really deep bodied, high volumed, sound, broody type of females.  Beyond that its hard to tell with all that hair, how much is hair and how much is cow is always my question when looking at unclipped Galloway pics.  Not saying they are bad, the hair just makes it hard to get a true idea in a pic of one, at least thats my opinion!

garybob

SFASUshowman said:
Really deep bodied, high volumed, sound, broody type of females.  Beyond that its hard to tell with all that hair, how much is hair and how much is cow is always my question when looking at unclipped Galloway pics.  Not saying they are bad, the hair just makes it hard to get a true idea in a pic of one, at least thats my opinion!
Buy some. Kick 'em out with a bull ( any breed--of your choice) on all that knee-deep Bermuda grass that Y'uns in East Texas are blessed with. Let the calendar and the scale sort them out.

Fact-of-bidness.....That's what people should be doing with every breed.

GB

CAB

Everytime that I look at your cattle I like them and have this question, how would they get along in southern Iowa in the 90 degree heat and high humidity's? I think that Eye Candy stands out among most of the clubbie bulls B/C of his PB Galloway Dam. JMO.

Bradenh

garybob said:
SFASUshowman said:
Buy some. Kick 'em out with a bull ( any breed--of your choice) on all that knee-deep Bermuda grass that Y'uns in East Texas are blessed with. Let the calendar and the scale sort them out.

GB
good idea until it hits 120 and the galloway is cooked and having heat strokes

HAB

Thanks for all of the comments.

GB- The AGBA should use your quote in our advertising.  Most Galloways have been raised with that type of management. 

CAB- Thanks.  Galloways are very adaptable.  Obviously our summer occurences of high heat and humidity are much less frequent, but the hair does help insulate from the direct sun, and gives you more surface area for sweat to be wicked away.  Keeps the biting flies at bay also.  ;D

Mark H.-  You are correct about the shedding, and obviously some bloodlines shed down more than others.  I would say our Galloways tolerate "our" heat better than our Angus.  While our Angus cows are "ponded" up all day long, or in the corner fighting flies, our Galloways are out grazing.

cbcr

Years ago their used to be a Galloway breeder toward the middle of our state (Missouri), had some real nice cattle and showed them as well.  Really nice looking cattle.

flacowman

The only Galloways I've ever been around were a few belties that were bred up out of Angus cows so I'm not sure how much Galloway they actually were.  What kind of frame scores do your cattle run?  Mature weights?  Just curious about a breed that intrigues me

HAB

flacowman said:
The only Galloways I've ever been around were a few belties that were bred up out of Angus cows so I'm not sure how much Galloway they actually were.  What kind of frame scores do your cattle run?  Mature weights?  Just curious about a breed that intrigues me

Most belties are bred up, with varying percentages of Galloway blood.  The AGBA does not register the bred up belties.

Most of our cows are in the frame 4 - 6 range.  Our 7 yr old herdbull is a frame 6 and weighed 2566 in Denver.  He was too fat for me, but the judge thought he could have used more cover, and couldn't believe how smooth he traveled.
Galloways don't put on backfat, so if you try and get  1/2 inch, you are throwing away money.  They will grade choice, with 1/4 inch.  If you look Galloways on  feed and think they need another 30 days, get them on the truck, they are done.

flacowman

Just curious, have you ever seen or bred a galloway/charolais?  In my mind that is a cross that would be wildly successful or a trainwreck with no middle ground lol

titan

cool looking females! they really give off that hairy, deep-bodied look!

garybob

Show stopper 95 said:
garybob said:
SFASUshowman said:

GB
good idea until it hits 120 and the galloway is cooked and having heat strokes
Then, how come there are galloways in Brazil and other tropical parts Of South America that shed out and do great?

GB

Mark H

Seriously their isn't enough Red Galloways in Canada to breed more than a few hundred cows in a year.  The vast majority of the red factor Charolais were graded up from Hereford breeding just by shear numbers..
That is a good article your linked to.  The Nichols family always marched to their own drummer and used right but different breeding.  For example he was the guy that discovered the Charolais bull Montana Silver. 
The great thing about the article is that it also goes into the history of the Luing and the U of A synthetic where in the 1950's Angus, Charolais, and Galloway were combined into a synthetic breed.  I guess composite breed development isn't a recent thing after all...