Galloway Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

HAB

Mark H said:
Seriously their isn't enough Red Galloways in Canada to breed more than a few hundred cows in a year.  The vast majority of the red factor Charolais were graded up from Hereford breeding just by shear numbers..
That is a good article your linked to.  The Nichols family always marched to their own drummer and used right but different breeding.  For example he was the guy that discovered the Charolais bull Montana Silver.  
The great thing about the article is that it also goes into the history of the Luing and the U of A synthetic where in the 1950's Angus, Charolais, and Galloway were combined into a synthetic breed.  I guess composite breed development isn't a recent thing after all...  

You are correct, I should have used the word some instead of many.  Bad choice of words on my part. Even with AI the number of good red Galloway bulls available is only a few.

HAB

Mark H said:
More Galloways for your viewing pleasure: http://www.diamondbgalloway.com/

Mark H.,

Diamond B is the most well known herd prefix in the Galloway world.  After 57 years of breeding Galloways, Robert retired.  Diamond B raised many exceptional cattle over that period of time.  Selling Galloways to many countries, all over the world.  I am happy to say I know Robert, and was able to sell him breeding stock.  Thanks for posting the link.

Harley

Mark H

I gave that link knowing full well what the Diamond B name means in Galloway circles and that they dispersed. Can say the Horvey's or Randy Kaiser step up to give the breed the a focal point herd?

Okotoks

HAB said:
flacowman said:
Just curious, have you ever seen or bred a galloway/charolais?  In my mind that is a cross that would be wildly successful or a trainwreck with no middle ground lol

Ever heard of Kroupa's G1 cow?  ;)

Many of the red factor Chars in Canada are red Galloway bull on Char cows. http://www.agcanada.com/Article.aspx?ID=19118
This is an excellent article. There are also Charolais and Simmental based herds using Shorthorn for the same reasons. Those Galloway crosses make a lot of sense for hardiness. If you look at the photos of those cows and calves in the article it would be hard to believe a lot of commrecial producers wouldn't go that route. The Galloway cross should add marbling and the Charolais should increase the yield. I honestly beleive with the narrow profit margins in the beef industry a lot of commercial based Angus herds will be looking for crosses to put across their herds to maximize production. As well brands like Cargill's Sterling Silver don't have anything to do with the colour of the hide.

HAB

Mark H said:
I gave that link knowing full well what the Diamond B name means in Galloway circles and that they dispersed. Can say the Horvey's or Randy Kaiser step up to give the breed the a focal point herd?

Mark H- There has always been good Galloways in Alberta, just many of the breeders chose not to get into the showring.  I have not been up to Horvey's or Kaiser's.  The only cattle I have seen of Horveys were the animals brought down to the states for shows.  I know Russel well, and have visited with Randy.  I did hear the top selling bull at the Horvey sale sold well.

Thanks for you input on this thread.

Harley

HAB

Okotoks said:
HAB said:
flacowman said:
Just curious, have you ever seen or bred a galloway/charolais?  In my mind that is a cross that would be wildly successful or a trainwreck with no middle ground lol

Many of the red factor Chars in Canada are red Galloway bull on Char cows. http://www.agcanada.com/Article.aspx?ID=19118
This is an excellent article. There are also Charolais and Simmental based herds using Shorthorn for the same reasons. Those Galloway crosses make a lot of sense for hardiness. If you look at the photos of those cows and calves in the article it would be hard to believe a lot of commercial producers wouldn't go that route. The Galloway cross should add marbling and the Charolais should increase the yield. I honestly believe with the narrow profit margins in the beef industry a lot of commercial based Angus herds will be looking for crosses to put across their herds to maximize production. As well brands like Cargill's Sterling Silver don't have anything to do with the colour of the hide.
Okotoks- Thanks for the positive comments about Galloways.  I almost think you raise Galloways by some of your comments.  ;D

I don't have the figures in front of me, but I know the Galloway steers have done well at Olds steer test.  If memory serves me correct the Galloways have shown a profit every year.  Not always winning the test, but not ever being fed out at a loss.  I think the have been using 1/2 Galloway steers out of black baldy and baldy X char cows.

Harley

Okotoks

HAB said:
Okotoks said:
HAB said:
flacowman said:

This is an excellent article. There are also Charolais and Simmental based herds using Shorthorn for the same reasons. Those Galloway crosses make a lot of sense for hardiness. If you look at the photos of those cows and calves in the article it would be hard to believe a lot of commercial producers wouldn't go that route. The Galloway cross should add marbling and the Charolais should increase the yield. I honestly believe with the narrow profit margins in the beef industry a lot of commercial based Angus herds will be looking for crosses to put across their herds to maximize production. As well brands like Cargill's Sterling Silver don't have anything to do with the colour of the hide.
Okotoks- Thanks for the positive comments about Galloways.  I almost think you raise Galloways by some of your comments.  ;D

I don't have the figures in front of me, but I know the Galloway steers have done well at Olds steer test.  If memory serves me correct the Galloways have shown a profit every year.  Not always winning the test, but not ever being fed out at a loss.  I think the have been using 1/2 Galloway steers out of black baldy and baldy X char cows.

Harley
No I don't have Galloway but I know they are a useful breed. If I had commercial cattle I would want some Galloway in them. I grew up seeing the Galloway at Rothney Farms along with the shorthorns there. I also drive by Walking A's Galloway almost every day.

HAB

Okotoks said:
HAB said:
Okotoks said:
HAB said:
flacowman said:

Harley
No I don't have Galloway but I know they are a useful breed. If I had commercial cattle I would want some Galloway in them. I grew up seeing the Galloway at Rothney Farms along with the shorthorns there. I also drive by Walking A's Galloway almost every day.

I never got to see the Rothney herd, it was before my time.  I have known Bob Airth (Walking A Galloways) for many years.  Like
Shorthorns, the Galloways have seen an ever increasing demand for use in raising crossbred females.  I have always wanted to get some blues out of some of my cows.  They worked well in the past, when cattle had to perform without being pampered like most of the breeds today.

Harley

HAB

Thanks, in part to the discussion on this board, this group of heifers all have a new home.  <beer>

Thank you,

Harley