PB simmental bull that throws market calves? Picture of cow to breed to included

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

Have this high% Simm cow that had a pretty good heifer prospect out of a PB simm bull from apex cattle. I want to breed her next year to a PB Simm. bull that can throw a great market steer/heifer. Not looking for replacement females out of this one. Whats your opinion what bull will work best. Thanks

Attachments

• Arapahoe and calf smaller for steer planet.jpg
    Arapahoe and calf smaller for steer planet.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 270

simbreeder

I would seriously consider fatt butt.  He throws the steers like heatwaves, and the heifers pretty, feminine, but with some substance.  Its been awhile since i've been excited about breeding cows.  No he's not the answer for every cow out there but from talking to willie and seeing several different heards out there, the top end of heifers are fatt butts, and he seems to work and a big handful of different styles of cows.  I know willie has some pictures on his website -williemorriscattle.com -that are calves out of him and just some nice/common angus cows.  The calves i've had this year are hairy and stout with good grow to them.  Janssens new bull looks promising if you can get ahold of semen on him. 

Warrior10

Fatt Butt was one I was thinking, his picture has always impressed me. I will go look at some of his calves pics. Do you know the name of the new bull of their's? Thanks for the input

OH Breeder

What ever bull you choose you appear to have a super base to start with. Great looking momma cow. Love her udder and teat placement. She looks like she could produce some winners! I am not a simmi guy, but it seems like Grizzly has been working in the clubby arena.  He's not fullblood or purebred but looks like he could really work on her.

Warrior10

Thanks OH Breeder, when we bought our club cows from Apex cattle I was the only one out of the 3 of us that liked her and she is turning out very well for us. As for Grizzly he was another that seemed like an obvious choice, but I did not know he was not a PB.

Warrior10

I have not seen too many calves out of Chopper? Its downsize and added thickness the main things he does for everyone else besides Freddy?

OH Breeder

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Thanks OH Breeder, when we bought our club cows from Apex cattle I was the only one out of the 3 of us that liked her and she is turning out very well for us. As for Grizzly he was another that seemed like an obvious choice, but I did not know he was not a PB.

Grizzly is half blood. There are lots of half bloods that can offer what you want as well. I wouldn't rule them out.

CAB

I think it's ironic that Chopper gets his picture in the paper and goes from $25 to $100/unit and now all of a sydden he's the one. Hadn't heard much about any of his calves B4 now. Curious have there been a bunch of good Chopper calves around the country? I personally didn't get any calves out of 5 units.

CAB

The day that he got hurt. He had an awful looking gash on his neck that took 132 stitches to close, but I don't think other than a tougher look it is going to effect his semen quality or production. JMO.

Warrior10

For me it's down to Grizzly or Fat Butt, unless the Chopper semen price goes down. I am impressed by all 3 bulls. Grizzly or Fat Butt I am 50/50

Simmgal

I agree with fat butt, and if youre looking for a calf that would have pounds at weaning, I would say Stocker.  ;D