Live Chat

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

farwest said:
The only broken record on this board is knabe and politics,   hands down..in addition, it's doom and gloom politics 24/7.  wheres your positvie knabe.  i just posted on high octane a few minutes ago, was that negative.

true.  though my comments on politics present what i feel is incorrect, and i usually propose an alternative, usually a more free market based approach, decentralized approach. these usually come across as negative because for some, weaning themselves from dependency (subsidies and tax breaks) is like weaning a calf, except with government, the teat is getting closer and closer to the mouth than any capitalist option.  course if that's negative, i don't apologize for that.  perhaps you would.  not me.

you haven't presented an alternative to negative comments in this thread, and are thinly veiled at one person, well now two.  the positions presented by myself and others are only focused on that.

i do believe, that at least on this thread, the record skipped again regarding your comments.

is it that hard to make a positive post regarding you may not have all the answers regarding children, even if you had all the children in the world?

probably not.

i wrote this before i saw the chill.  chilled chivas.

herefordfootball

Wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3200 Members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (clapping)  O0  (thumbsup)  (clapping)  O0  (thumbsup)

(welcome) Tbone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimbaljd

GONEWEST said:
Show Heifer, your statement about parents checking their kids call log and sent/received messages is an extreme invasion of privacy. I do not have anything on my phone I wouldnt want my parents seeing, heck my phone doesnt even have a camera, but how would you like it if someone was constantly monitoring your calls, messages, etc.? I'm sure there are some things you say in text messages that are meant for your eyes and the person you are talking to ONLY. If kids caught their parents rummaging through their phone history dont you think that is gonna create some trust issues? And another thing is the kid will just get smarter and sneakier about doing whatever they are doing, its not hard to delete messages or clear your call log. If I thought my parents were going through my priivate conversations with others it would really tick me off. Probaly to the point where I wouldnt leave any of my stuff where they could get at it, so in the end it would just cause problems. Kids are gonna do what they want, and the truth is we can not control other human beings. And if you are worried about the kids with the nasty stuff on their phones, well lets put it this way, the parent obviously doesnt know their kid that well because they were stupid enough to give them the phone in the first place.

There is a first time for everything and I am all about backing up what Show Heifer says. I think it's absolutely hilarious that a kid under 18 who lives in his parents house thinks he has a right to privacy!!  (lol)   (clapping)  That's the whole problem with parents today. They want to be their child's friend and not their parent. When I was a teenager, I had no trust issues with my parents because I had absolutely no concept of having any thing private in THEIR house. How did that ever come about? Where did that come from?

It would tick you off if your parents went through your phone? If I were your parent and it ticked you off, I'd just take the phone. If that ticked you off I'd just keep taking things until your life consisted of school, eating and sleeping. Then when you got old enough to earn enough money you could move from my house and quit eating the food off my table and do what ever you wanted.  Kids can be controlled, IF they need to be. Parents just aren't willing to do it. It takes too much effort and too much time. It's easier to just say "you can't control kids, they are going to do what they want."  Most parents now days parent by giving their kid a helmet to play in the street with instead of telling him and MAKING him stay out of the street.

And AMEN!

kimbaljd

Jenny said:
I do not post here very often but this little attitude you have here, Farwest, is making me laugh.
I have micromanaged my kids; they have been spyed on, checked on, grounded; phone, car, TV, computer privileges taken away....I do consider that all a very important part of my duty as a parent.
I believe it is very true that when the kid is out and paying his own bills, then they have the right and privilege to do what they want, but before that time comes, it is my right and privilege to guide and instruct them on how to be successful in their lives; and I believe in tough love.  I am not a pushover by any means and you can just ask my kids.

In case you were wondering I have 7 of them.
3 bio kids.....the oldest is a software engineer (writes computer software), the next one is in his final semester of law school, and the next one is scheduled to take her MCATS in a couple of weeks (sure that a person as intelligent as you know what the MCATS are, but for those on this forum that are less informed....that is the test to get into medical school).

oddly enough, none of those three have ever been in any trouble anytime; so do not fit that scenerio that you give about the "hellraisers".

I am also privileged to have 4 adopted kids ages 13, 10, 9 and 6 and they are now living under the same hellish conditions that the oldest ones lived under........

hmmm, what are some of your accomplishments that you would attribute to the freedoms you have/had as a child living under someone's roof who pays the bills for you and does not require any accountability?

Great reply! I think the other person prefers the idea of just hugging them and thats all they will ever need. I prefer "Spare the rod, spoil the child!"

herefordfootball

So no privacy... Sounds a little bit like a jail. Thats the end of this for me. I'm gonna check out the chatroom!!!!

Edit: Just checked out the chatroom it is pretty cool!!!!  :)

Dusty

Jenny said:
I do not post here very often but this little attitude you have here, Farwest, is making me laugh.
I have micromanaged my kids; they have been spyed on, checked on, grounded; phone, car, TV, computer privileges taken away....I do consider that all a very important part of my duty as a parent.
I believe it is very true that when the kid is out and paying his own bills, then they have the right and privilege to do what they want, but before that time comes, it is my right and privilege to guide and instruct them on how to be successful in their lives; and I believe in tough love.  I am not a pushover by any means and you can just ask my kids.

3 bio kids.....the oldest is a software engineer (writes computer software), the next one is in his final semester of law school, and the next one is scheduled to take her MCATS in a couple of weeks (sure that a person as intelligent as you know what the MCATS are, but for those on this forum that are less informed....that is the test to get into medical school).

oddly enough, none of those three have ever been in any trouble anytime; so do not fit that scenerio that you give about the "hellraisers".

I am also privileged to have 4 adopted kids ages 13, 10, 9 and 6 and they are now living under the same hellish conditions that the oldest ones lived under........

hmmm, what are some of your accomplishments that you would attribute to the freedoms you have/had as a child living under someone's roof who pays the bills for you and does not require any accountability?

I've been reading this one for awhile now...

I don't agree with micromanaging kids.  Especially by the time their in high school if they don't know right from there's nothing you can do...

I went to school with some kids that were the so called "good kids".  Their parents were always managing their life, telling them what activities to be in, making them be in church twice a week, telling them who they could hang out with etc....  I saw more of those kids turn into potheads and college flunk outs because they didn't have mommy their to tell them what to do everyday.  These are same kids that the parents looked down on the other kids in town because the other kids weren't as perfect as their own. 
Meanwhile after 1 year away at college junior has flunked out because he never went to class and mommy and daddy's little angel comes home pregnant...
So many of the kids of the "helicopter" parents end up getting dangerously drunk and doing a lot of stupid stuff because they were never exposed to alcohol until they left the nest and they didn't know what to do...

I'm a firm believer that kids should be taught self reliance.  Let them manage their own time and make their own money.  It always amazes me to hear parents talk now that I'm older about all the things they try to manage for their kids...  My parents never really knew where I was or how much money I had or anything like that.  I never hit them up for any money, I wasn't getting brought home by the cops, got decent grades and never had to ask dad to do my chores.  Got done with high school went to college, got my bachelors after 3.5 years and got a decent job.

The best way to keep your kids out of trouble when they're in high school.  Don't give them things or money.  Make them buy their own car, buy their gas and pay insurance.  If you give them 0 money and only provide a roof and food on the table, your kids will be too damn busy working to have much free time to get in trouble.  You don't stay out very late when you have to get up at 5 to do chores before you go to work or school that day.  You don't drive around just for the helluva it when you're buying your own gas. 

Its a double edged sword though...when you aren't controlling your childs money..it's hard to control them. 

herefordfootball

Dusty said:
Jenny said:

I don't agree with micromanaging kids.  Especially by the time their in high school if they don't know right from there's nothing you can do...

I went to school with some kids that were the so called "good kids".  Their parents were always managing their life, telling them what activities to be in, making them be in church twice a week, telling them who they could hang out with etc....  I saw more of those kids turn into potheads and college flunk outs because they didn't have mommy their to tell them what to do everyday.  These are same kids that the parents looked down on the other kids in town because the other kids weren't as perfect as their own. 
Meanwhile after 1 year away at college junior has flunked out because he never went to class and mommy and daddy's little angel comes home pregnant...
So many of the kids of the "helicopter" parents end up getting dangerously drunk and doing a lot of stupid stuff because they were never exposed to alcohol until they left the nest and they didn't know what to do...

I'm a firm believer that kids should be taught self reliance.  Let them manage their own time and make their own money.  It always amazes me to hear parents talk now that I'm older about all the things they try to manage for their kids...  My parents never really knew where I was or how much money I had or anything like that.  I never hit them up for any money, I wasn't getting brought home by the cops, got decent grades and never had to ask dad to do my chores.  Got done with high school went to college, got my bachelors after 3.5 years and got a decent job.

The best way to keep your kids out of trouble when they're in high school.  Don't give them things or money.  Make them buy their own car, buy their gas and pay insurance.  If you give them 0 money and only provide a roof and food on the table, your kids will be too damn busy working to have much free time to get in trouble.  You don't stay out very late when you have to get up at 5 to do chores before you go to work or school that day.  You don't drive around just for the helluva it when you're buying your own gas. 

Its a double edged sword though...when you aren't controlling your childs money..it's hard to control them. 

Dusty you just described my life and my brothers. All the other kids say oh it sucks to be you, but you know what it's not that bad. I'm glad my parents taught me to work for what I have instead of handing it to me on a silver platter, makes you grateful for what you got and at the end of the day you feel better about yourself for some reason.

herfchic

As long as I live under my parents' roof I am subject to their rules and I am fine with that.  Sure I grumble and complain like all teenagers, but I also like to eat good homemade food and sleep in a comfy bed.  I can't complain about to much, because I am so lucky to have what I have.

stangs13

<hero>
herfchic said:
As long as I live under my parents' roof I am subject to their rules and I am fine with that.  Sure I grumble and complain like all teenagers, but I also like to eat good homemade food and sleep in a comfy bed.  I can't complain about to much, because I am so lucky to have what I have.

mmhhmmm..my thoughts exactly!

farwest

All right i've given in, after school, all three kids up against the wall, fork over the cell phones and the lab tops , need to look at everything they've encountered today.

farwest

Dusty said:
Jenny said:

Oh, and Dusty knows what TERRORISTS i've raised... (clapping)

Dusty

farwest said:
]Oh, and Dusty knows what TERRORISTS i've raised... (clapping)

yeah that youngest one especially.  She's a real menace to society..  Reading this post is reminding me of what that state trooper told you on the way back from Kansas.... Ya know right after we all laughed him! LOL